Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The high cost of having a BBQ addiction in Thailand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice write up and what a view! I‘m looking forward to reading your recipes and seeing the lunches!

Comment

Sandpaper Here's the only recipe I've found that translates to BBQ. Everything else my wife and in-laws make tastes great but it's all stir-fried and, given my limited culinary skills, I haven't been able to make it work well on BBQ meats. This is a long post because of all the photos, so if you're not interested, please skip right over it.

This recipe works well on both beef and pork. Apply it a slather, let it sit for a couple of hours, and then throw it on a hot grill. I've had better luck with this cooking hot & fast.

Sunee's BBQ Slather

1/3 cup cilantro root (about 7 roots) cut small and then crushed
      9 or 10 garlic cloves crushed
      3 tbs white pepper corns crushed
      3 tbs Thai oyster sauce
      1/4 cup Thai light soy sauce
      1/4 cup Knorr pork bullion powder
      for beef, 0 to 1/4 cup brown coconut sugar
      for pork, 1/2 cup brown or coconut sugar

To combine all this, you can use a molcajete and pound it all into submission by hand. When I suggested putting it in a blender, the sisters gave me a look and I quickly shut up. My wife said the oil extraction wouldn't be the same. However, a couple of weeks later when I tried the recipe I did use a blender and everyone said it tasted the same. I'm lazy, they're not.

I think the hard part for those of us who live in the U.S. is going to be finding cilantro root. I don't ever remember seeing it in a regular supermarket but it may be available in bodegas. It is the major flavor source for this recipe. Also Thai oyster sauce and light soy sauce have a different flavor profile from the Chinese (Panda Brand) and the Japanese soy sauces we are used to, so if you can find them, it will make a difference in the result. This recipe is good, but can certainly be improved, and I'm hoping that some of the more gifted cooks who hang out on this forum will try it, tweak it, and then re-post it for the rest of us.

Cilantro Root
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0052.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	787368
      Cutting and pulverizing the cilantro root

Name:	DSC_0055.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	787369

Name:	DSC_0057.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	787370

Name:	DSC_0058.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	787371
      Adding and crushing the white peppercorns

Name:	DSC_0059.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	787372
      Adding and crushing the garlic cloves

Name:	DSC_0060.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	787373

Name:	DSC_0062.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	787374
      Thai Oyster Sauce

Name:	DSC_0063.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	787375Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0064.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	787376
      Thai light soy sauce (above)

The final result

Name:	DSC_0066.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	787377
      Credits: Left to right, Sunee, wife's younger sister and author of this recipe, Mon,
      wife's older sister who cooks most of our lunches, and Dokmai, my wife and
      the sous chef.

Name:	DSC_0174.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	787378

Comment

Wow this looks great, AZ Fogey . I'm going to try to source some of the ingredients at a semi-local Asian grocery. They have a lot of fresh vegetables and fresh spices that I don't recognize, so maybe cilantro root is there too.

I hope you're enjoying your stay there in Thailand. Sure looks like you're eating well!

Best wishes,
        Kathryn

Comment

• AZ Fogey
          AZ Fogey commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc terrific! It will be great to see what you come up with. I have to admit, it's going to be hard going back to ham sandwiches when we get back to Arizona.

AZ Fogey - thanks for the recipe! I will be sure to try it out. If your return flight brings you via LAX, let me know and I can point you to some Thai markets for those ingredients.

Comment

Hello! I have never been to Thailand but I am willing to vit this wonderful country. I don't know how expensive it is to be a barbecue addict there but from what I know the prices are relatively low there compared to the US ones. Back home I always by everything i need for barbecue from grillongrillaction.com. They appear to have the best price to quality ratio. If you need a good and cheap grill, maybe try buying it from them, as I know they are also delivering internationally, you'll only have to pay extra for the custom fees
          Last edited by arthurmorgan; June 20, 2020, 04:05 AM.

Comment

We occasionally get cilantro with the roots still intact on our local supermarket. The tires are generally much smaller than down in the photos. I have used them on a recipe that called for a smaller amount of cilantro root, possibly gai yang.

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              So I went and checked in my recipes and it was, in fact, the Gai Yang marinade paste that called for 3Tbsp of cilantro root. It's actually similar to the stuff in the original post with the cilantro root, garlic and peppercorns pounded in a mortar and pestle or in a blender. The liquid seasoning was different, mainly fish sauce.

Looks like you have a great place and a great family. Enjoy your time there. I have an Asian market in Asheville about 2 hrs from me that is pretty comprehensive , I will check if they have Cilantro root next time I stop in there, its where we get our sauces for our Asian dishes. If not I will just grow Cilantro next year.

Comment

• scottranda
              scottranda commented
              Editing a comment
              I’ll have to look it up next time I’m there!

AZ , mebbee Q doesn’t fit the style of foods but grillin the meat with a little smokey flavor sure would. Just thinkin, cuz I have done it with some of my cookin.
            Last edited by FireMan; June 18, 2020, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here