Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The high cost of having a BBQ addiction in Thailand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AZ Fogey
    commented on 's reply
    RonB Unfortunately Thai waters are pretty much fished out, kind of like the waters around Hawaii. Locals generally eat very small fish. I think the largest grouper I've seen here was maybe 5 lbs., if that. In previous years, we've been able to buy decent Scandinavian salmon, but this year, even though the salmon looks good, the meat is just mushy. Maybe years of farming salmon have finally come home to roost.

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    Yowzer! Very nice! Thanks!!

• AZ Fogey
    commented on 's reply
    Ahumadora if only we could get Argentine beef in Thailand.

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Thank you for the great writeup and for starting this topic, AZ Fogey . It sounds like your life is perfectly balanced, and that retired life suits you well. I had missed seeing your posts and wondered if all was going OK with you. Turns out all has been very well indeed, from your post.

Congrats on the two new cookers. What fun to learn new stuff in a different country, adapting what's available. Keep us posted as you pursue the task of compiling a Thai cookbook for yourself. And keep the photos coming. Sure looks beautiful there.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    Great story, great lay out, great view! Can’t wait to see what you come up with from the cook masters & their spice mixes. Sounds like a real lunch blast. 👍🕶

Leave a comment:

• Nate
    commented on 's reply
    Beautiful!

• AZ Fogey
    replied
    HawkerXP Here's my layout. Lunches to come soon. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0072.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	769551

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Awesome story! Enjoyed reading it, thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    Been to Bangkok a couple of years ago but only spent a few days there until traveling to Phuket, our destination. Absolutely gorgeous part of the world but being the world's #1 tourist destination it's gotten so crowded and quite expensive compared to Viet Nam or even the Philippines.

Anyway, the wife is Filipina and we travel to her province when we can. Everyone in that part of the world do the roasted pig known as Lichon. They use anything available from mango or even bamboo, for their fuel. Problem is they don't bag it up and sell it like they do here, rather cut it themselves. If you can find a source for a local charcoal maker, like in the Philippines, you might be able to get some cheap fuel.

As to cooking appliances, yea you're pretty much looking at taking a hit. Regardless, enjoy Thailand, it's a great place !!

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    I would think it would be easy to get fresh fish there. That may be a way to get your SILs attention. Also pork belly burnt ends would probably be new to them, and you could throw in some chilis to part just for them.

Leave a comment:

• Donw
    replied
    Sounds like you are enjoying yourselves and that is what matters. I would appreciate reading more of your efforts combining our classic BBQ with Thai, and the resulting recipes.

Leave a comment:

• Greygoose
    commented on 's reply
    It says in the description that it's made in Thailand

• HawkerXP
    replied
    I used to go to Thailand a couple times a year in my old job. I really liked it there and the food! Send some pics of your layout and lunches!!

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    commented on 's reply
    Must be AUTHENTIC 🤣

• AZ Fogey
    commented on 's reply
    It seems to be sold out of Portland, OR. No hits it Thailand at all.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here