Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kamado Chimney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kamado Chimney

I think I am finally over the stock chimney on my Big Joe. What do y'all recommend using? What have your experiences been like? Thanks so much!!

I now start my charcoal with a map torch - 20-30 seconds on a spot.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I think he means the exhaust chimney on top of his kamado.

• MonsterDuckMadness
      MonsterDuckMadness commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, that is exactly what I mean.

KJ has two styles of top vents - old "daisy wheel" type and the newer "slot type". Which one do you have?

Comment

• Histrix
      Histrix commented
      Editing a comment
      What problems are you having with it?

• MonsterDuckMadness
      Editing a comment
      It seizes up, every, single, time, I use it. I know that you can spin it before it cools, and if you heat it up with a lighter or whatever, it loosens. But, honestly, those things are a pretty big pain in the butt to do all the time. Also, it's not super precise. And I find that very teeny adjustments on it make a pretty big difference to my temps, especially the lower I am trying to keep things. So, all in all, I think its time for a change!

• Histrix
      Histrix commented
      Editing a comment
      Any top vent is going to get a bit greasy and gum up and stick when it is cold.
      Perhaps the new KJ vent cap will suit you better. I generally just leave the top vent with the little holes fully open and use the bottom vent to adjust temp. At anything more than 350°F or so I don't even use the top cap. Perhaps a Smobot is what you need - http://www.smobot.com/

I don’t use a chimney for my Primo. I use either the el cheapo harbor freight heat gun (it’s faster) or if I don’t feel like plugging that thing in I use a propane torch.

Comment

• MonsterDuckMadness
      Editing a comment
      Sorry Gator - I didn’t mean a coal chimney, I meant my top exhaust vent chimney.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here