Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meathead Turkey Recipe - KJ Classic Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meathead Turkey Recipe - KJ Classic Setup

Happy Thanksgiving all! I did my first turkey yesterday and it came out great but I'm looking to improve next year. My problem was my setup on my KJ Classic. I followed Meathead's recipe for a traditional bird plus the gravy made from the drippings.

My issue was the setup of the disposable roasting pan for the gravy. The recipe calls for 3 quarts of liquid in the pan, much more than the capacity of the drip pans I usually use under meat. I picked up a deep, wide pan that barely fit under the grill surface (should have checked that before it was too late). In fact I had to bend it a bit to get it to fit.

Meathead suggests that the bird sits on the grill at least three inches above the pan but I had no way of getting that gap with what I had available. I always use a few one inch square ceramic pieces between the drip pan and deflector plate to keep the bottom of the pan from burning.The turkey basically sat directly above the broad steaming pan throughout the cook making the bottom skin soggy and preventing browning of the bottoms of the legs and wings.

My second issue, which I think was also the fault of the roasting pan size, is I could not get up to temp! I'm shooting for 325 and I got there after some time with the drip pan in when I was preheating. Once the bird went on it cooked at just 275-300 with both vents wide open, dropping after a couple of hours to 250, which is when I decided to just finish it in the oven. I was measuring with both a grill-level thermometer and the KJ dial and they were in agreement throughout the cook by a few degrees. I had cleaned all ashes out of the grill, stacked KJ big lump at the bottom of the pile and Royal Oak on that, which is pretty much always my setup and normally works fine for me at any temp. I didn't peek at all for the first hour and then only in about 30-45 minute intervals after that to top off the water in the pan. It was raining steadily but I can't imagine that would be such a factor as to keep my temp under 300.

I've attached a few pictures of the setup and finished bird (no, the bottle of ranch dressing was not used on the turkey!). Any suggestions on a better approach? I'm not sure how I'd do a smaller pan size as the liquid was less than an inch from the top lip and nearly overflowing as it bubbled. Plus I had to add boiling water two or three times so if I went smaller with less liquid I might risk it all boiling off.

I've also attached a picture of the remaining lump I found this morning. I went out to light my grill for a cleaning and took this picture after stirring the ash out. This was a full firebox that ran under 300° F for just a few hours. I would expect to find just a small portion of the lump used up but what remains tells me that this fire was raging.
    Attached Files

Turkey looks nice and moist. With all that liquid right underneath the bird, you essentially steamed the bottom. I don't use liquid of any type in the cooker for turkeys or chickens as it makes it too humid to get crispy skin plus keeps you from being able to get in that 325 range. It just takes too much energy from the fire. I do understand you were trying to make the gravy so maybe someone else will chime in to help give some advice on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hulagn1971 View Post
      Turkey looks nice and moist. With all that liquid right underneath the bird, you essentially steamed the bottom. I don't use liquid of any type in the cooker for turkeys or chickens as it makes it too humid to get crispy skin plus keeps you from being able to get in that 325 range. It just takes too much energy from the fire. I do understand you were trying to make the gravy so maybe someone else will chime in to help give some advice on that.
      Thank you. I'm trying not to abandon the technique entirely. The gravy was fantastic and the bird did come out excellent, just without the crispy skin I was going for. As much as possible I try to avoid liquids in the kamado as they always seem to play with my temps, either absorbing all the heat or, when I mop or spritz, causing big temp spikes.

Comment

If you have room, go vertical. Room for a tight drip tray for MH's gravy lower the in KJ, and a better profile for the bird with respect to the heat.

There's no AR vertical roast technique or recipe, but it is an AR approved method.

Comment

• SeaBrisket
          SeaBrisket commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking into it, thank you!

Originally posted by Potkettleblack View Post
        If you have room, go vertical. Room for a tight drip tray for MH's gravy lower the in KJ, and a better profile for the bird with respect to the heat.

There's no AR vertical roast technique or recipe, but it is an AR approved method.
        Thank you. I can go a little lower for the pan using foil balls for my air gap. I get where the vertical arrangement could help but I don't see where this resolves the heat sink issue. What size pan are you thinking?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          The Spanek folks recommend a pan that fits the base of the vertical bird pretty tightly. So if it’s about 12”x12”, they’d want maybe 12x15. Google Spanek Vertical and enjoy the videos.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here