Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uneven burning- Kamado Big Joe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uneven burning- Kamado Big Joe

It's got that divider in the middle and the one side always starts easily and burns well and the other side takes forever to get going and never burns as well. I figure it's oxygen flow and have cleaned out the bottom and everywhere short of taking the inside ceramic walls out and the problem persists. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks much!

Is the divider removable? If so it sounds like it is doing what it was intended for which would be 2 zone cooking. Take the divider out-fire it up and see what happens.

Comment

The air vent side on my Primo lights easier than the side away from the bottom vent. But the entire firebox will go up in time. At low and slow settings the charcoal acts more like a "snake", with the fire spreading slowly. This is normal and describable. Kamados are efficient, so if you can maintain the desired temperature with only some coals burning, that is good. Yot get a longer burn time that way. And thanks to the large thermal mass and heat deflector, even heating.

If i want an even bed of hot stuff fast I light the lump in several places with the bottom vent open wide and the lid up. When the spots I lit are going well close the lid and open the top vent as wide as possible. Then let convection do it’s thing. Hot air shoots out of the top, drawing fresh air in the bottom.

The box divider is only used for dual zone cooking. If you are using the heat deflectors, the divider isn’t necessary at all.

Comment

How many spots of charcoal are you lighting? If I’m doing low and slow, I do one spot. If I do 350 degrees I normally do 2. Higher than 400 is 3 spots.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here