Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold Smoke on Big Joe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Smoke on Big Joe

Hey y'all. Anyone have thoughts/ideas/suggestions/experience with cold smoking? I want get started, but am not sure if I should go with a tray, smoke daddy kinda deal, coffee can with a dryer vent, or some other brilliant option I don't know about yet. I don't have a jr that I could use to generate smoke, so thats kinda out. But I do have a beautiful wild salmon fillet freezing a hole in my freezer that I want to start with, and have been thinking about doing some other non-meat stuff for some weird vegans I know.

I have an Amaz'n tray that I've used in my: kettle, gasser, WSCG, and an old electric smoker from days gone by. works perfectly.

Comment

I can't help but welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Originally posted by xaugievike View Post
      I have an Amaz'n tray that I've used in my: kettle, gasser, WSCG, and an old electric smoker from days gone by. works perfectly.
      And welcome!

Comment

I haven't cold smoked since I got my kamado but i figure you could just do it just like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	YbHOsswkYdODhzdYGbi2SYbrJUNcOS6Ufbe4lfgPQ4_Hp1R491c93LGdKFyTlLeOmaehYTgl5YrZhuRP4unt4nt174W7ES17GKPN2nBP-7XEZTOi_iejSgvH4u0Yy4pwPTDVdOW1rEob1d9sXt_3KPeGMqw_wfYCChNpQ55vK_d5i-LlLPSju0wnTr87vwES995igG65rlR2oIxUe2prEiwlt5kWCsDERiTLjAE-ZJ8a7sPEMxgKlZ8w1gwmOIS
Views:	660
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	557238

Name:	r-2QkmmuQi8cfIl3xT_OHzXRsnGqmJDXNVbr27gstAGOYnEnP9Q03fbGi7UyvcREddSnibPi1wdyRroTu8pTAsVQsJ3k4Dd0ztx4nI2cc5TQ3sByvDL5sueqTE5vsoLrX75J7H82Hx7HzgvBzBg5WV_iqGmjhZJL2N1TDZtRWjbKwwO5EQcZwieITB7etIumy2MyRDLKnxTHnxLGqmXMINmiC9yCEbAFjAtrPM4qcJeR2_AW_PhFlZnsVehG_xa
Views:	648
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	557239

Name:	bhNsoVgOyaOyaVtjdME51DVJlV0CAFZDFJHAD_9H9mcdSWQonpfsQzfGXfLfvrdwdRYTyNXmCgvWJpa29ikRALgVNcy-EvztHEs0L-AfC5KKPVlLeIBHc2ebqUQ8BxVqg41XATvzdEaFWk67siKbPOzHhYvVHeVdnxZy69_r7-S9HnrfBInmFFTJvzjlAGM9V1hW037te7lLlq0L0d59ZUndHy0dZk_ztjeXeSisHKudMqJazjvlQlIwEDnTVHQ
Views:	628
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	557240

Comment

I use an amazin maze for cheese, nuts, jerky

Comment

This is great, everyone!
          has anyone used the Amaz’n tray in a ceramic cooker? I’m just worried about heat retention. Also, adding more ice would be kind of a pain, if you have to do it often... looks like a beauty system though!!!

Comment

• customtrim
            customtrim commented
            Editing a comment
            I have used a amazi n tube to do cheese in my kamado Joe but I only do it when it is cold out

For the record, we caution against smoking any meats below 200 degrees, for safety's sake. Throwing this out there...I used to smoke my salmon at ~145. After reading Meathead's article, and pondering & realizing a "better safe than sorry" approach has never hurt anyone, I switched to 200-225 and notice zero (or negligible at best) difference in the outcome, except a quicker cook time.

To arm yourself with good information on the dangers of cold smoking meats, please give this article a once over: https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...ats-dont-do-it

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
            I can't help but welcome to The Pit.
            Thank you so much, my friend!!

Comment

Anyone have thoughts on the tray vs. the tube - for a Big Joe specifically? Also, do you guys think the fan would boost the heat too high?

Comment

That Amazentube works like a charm.. MonsterDuckMadness And welcome to the Pit!

Cheers from Norway

Comment

MonsterDuckMadness (nice handle)!

With your comment about the fan, you have me wondering whether a Smobot might be a good alternative. I've gone to the site but haven't found a temp range yet. But here's a recording of a typical ribs cook on a LBGE. It's a great device. http://www.smobot.com

My thinking is if you can put your setpoint where you want it (~150?), put the amazing tube or alternative into the chamber, and let the Smobot control the airflow, you might be golden.

And welcome!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 2.28.22 PM.png Views:	1 Size:	30.6 KB ID:	558534

Comment

Thanks, man!!!

Yeah, this is more or less what I was thinking too! I have a FireBoard Drive set up with my Big Joe (sorry - I should have been more clear about that. So I was wanting to try pretty much what you are outlining. I’m just not sure how to do it, given that high fan speed usually = higher temps. IE, if I set my set point super low, I don’t think my fan will come on. And if I just set my fan speed on high-ish, I worry that it will create incremental heat. I know that, normally, he amount of heat generated by a pellet tray/tube should be minimal. But these ceramic coolers do suck up heat like sponges... So I dunno.

To that end, I also wonder if that might be a reason to use the tube over the tray... Like, if tray tube throws a lot more heat, maybe it’s not such a good idea for the Big Joe...

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      One way to find out, eh? Maybe try some cheese first?

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here