Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kamado Joe Chimney Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kamado Joe Chimney Cap

I was having a hard time moving the KJ chimney cap to adjust the airflow. Saw it gunked up underneath, so I boiled water, put some soap in a bowl, and let it soak. I was scrubbing it and notice what it was was not gunk, but the black paint finish. I was removing the paint! Should I just take off the rest of it off? I kind of feel like I should since I’ve gone this far. It shouldn’t affect performance, correct?
    Attached Files

I think I would remove what ever is loose and let it be. Is it under warranty?

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      No, it’s not.

Maybe get one of these. The also keep the rain out. https://smokeware.com/

Comment

If it is cast iron, might as well finish removing the paint, clean it well, then repaint it to prevent rust. Ideally you know someone who has a sandblaster, that is the best way to get at it, otherwise you can go at it with a wire brush and whatever you have (dremel, oscillating power tool, and so on). Or have a shop blast it for you.

But if you have to buy tools or pay a shop, might just want to replace it. Clean it as well as you can and repaint it, but if it starts to rust out don’t be surprised. It will still take a long time to get so bad it can’t be used, easily lasting for the rest of this year at least.

Dont want flaking paint to possibly fall on your food.

Comment

That is not paint. That is seasoning!!! You are removing the protective layer. You can reapply it with some oil.

Clean the cap as well as you can. Then place it in your oven or kamado at 300 and let it heat soak for 30 mins to ensure it is totally dry. Then take it out and add some crisco, flax oil or lard to the surface. Then wipe all of it off, there will still be a very thin layer of oil, this is all you need.
        Bump your oven or Kamado up to 450 F and let it bake for a few hours. Then, let it cool naturally. This will restore the seasoning on the chimney cap.

Also, have you considered the Stainless cap from Smokeware? I have them on all of my Kamados. They work great, keep the rain out, it doesn't move when you open the lid and they look great. Check them out.

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!! Makes sense now you say it! I’ll see how the reseason works and may buy the SS smokeware cap.

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee - keeper topic.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Moved! Thanks Ted! tbob4

Thanks for the tip Spinaker! just ordered one.

Comment

• Scott Wat
          Scott Wat commented
          Editing a comment
          Just getting used to the smokeware cap, love it so far easy to clean!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here