Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kamado Joe Purchase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As you might guess I would suggest a Boston Butt with a set it and forget it at 225 over night. That was the first cook which I cooked on mine. It is a very forgiving cut of meat. Figure one hour to stabilize your Kamado @225, 12 hours to get a 10# butt to an internal temp of 200, and two hours plus doubled wrapped in foil in an ice chest with old towels until you are ready to serve. Have fun.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm going to disagree with you on this one, having had to dispose of one before I had my fire management skills down.

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF that’s a valid disagreement. I followed Elder Ward’s advice about stacking the charcoal by size - large in the bottom, fill in and add a layer of medium and top off with smallto th ring. Did you use that method?

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Elder Ward's method is what I first learned, and you're right about that. This event happened a few years into egging, and I think I just got sloppy that time. I agree with you that it's rarely an issue keeping it running overnight (pretty much no maintenance). So let's say no disagreement, but some pilot error. LA Pork Butt.

Based on the color (black) and the actual grill, that looks like a pre-2014 model. In 2014 KJ introduced the Divide and Conquer system, which gives you 2 half racks, and 2 half deflector stones and a rack that mounts all of the other stuff. You can cook at two levels to vary the heat somewhat. If you want it, I think you can purchase that set up for about $200. It will fit older KJs. Lacking the D&C is what makes the price so palatable. If you don't care, then you're getting a great deal. If you want the D&C, the extra $200 puts you in the category of a good deal. You can always add it later.

Welcome to the family of Ceramic cooker fanatics. There's lots of postings that amount to a complete set of tutorials down in the specific forum for Kamados.

Best regards,
    Jim

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      And there are other ways to manage direct/indirect, though the more current D&C approach is great!

I love my Primo. In fact I have a Boston butt in it now. Put it in at 11pm last night and last check of the cyberq says it’s aporoaching 190. Can’t do that with a kettle / SNS without adding more coals.

Also the insulating properties of the ceramic grill will extend your outdoor cooking season. I’m in FL so as long as there isn’t a hurricane I can cook outdoors. Cold for us means 50 degrees. But if a passing rain shower hits, it doesn’t cool my Primo.

Id say do it. But as mentioned check carefully for cracks. Remove the firebox and give it a good lookover. Small cracks in the firebox aren’t a huge deal.

Also DO NOT BUY if the grill smells of lighter fluid or gasoline. Some people don’t heed the warnings and use that stuff on cenemics. You will never get the gas station smell out.

Comment

• ebysea
      ebysea commented
      Editing a comment
      SmokeyGator thank you for the tip! Going to look at it this afternoon. Hoping it checks out!

Did you get it? If so, you will love it for year round cooking especially during winter.

Comment

I just picked up a kamado and already love it. I just threw on a trip tip and bacon wrapped pork tenderloin. Yesterday I made chuck roast on it.

However I did use my 18 Weber for brats, and my Weber Spirit for burgers this weekend just to spread the love.

Sounds like you're interested in it. I say go for it! I'm sure glad I did.
      Last edited by Attjack; May 28, 2018, 08:01 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

I don't have a kamado Joe, but I do have an Akorn Kamado. I can tell you it will change the way you cook some things, and for the better! If that was in my neighborhood, I would grab that deal!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20B69ACA-C189-43BA-8C51-E77EEDAC3791.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	507480 By the way, this is how I lifted my Primo to set it in the table I built. My dad worked for the power company for 50 years. So he has a lineman’s ratchet hoist. Comes in handy sometimes

Comment

• Omega-Man
            Omega-Man commented
            Editing a comment
            Always nice to have the right equipment!. I have Primo XL,which I think weighs in at 200 lbs. Fortunately, my son-in-law is a body builder with huge muscles, along with my son, were able to do the deed for me

A little late but the way to pick it up, if no crane or lift is available, is as mentioned pull everything out and unhook shelves as they are heavy. Then lift (two people) with one hand in bottom air inlet and the other on the hinge, don't use shelves or ring.

Key to any Kamado's performance is air control, and that means the seal between top and bottom must be undamaged or crushed. Good news is you can replace it if needed.

Enjoy

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I read from the Primo website to not to pick it up by the hinge.

• BBQ Pond Guy
            BBQ Pond Guy commented
            Editing a comment
            Per the Kamado Joe Manual (pg 24):
            "Due to the weight of this grill, we highly recommend two people perform this task. 'Do NOT lift the grill by the side shelf tabs. Use the rear hinge and the front lower vent opening as lifting points."
            Each manufacturer has their particulars!
            Last edited by BBQ Pond Guy; June 8, 2018, 10:47 PM.

ebysea How did you make out with the KJ?

Comment

• ebysea
            ebysea commented
            Editing a comment
            Hoping to get her today! Will post pictures once she is in my backyard, very excited!!!

Congratulations, you're going to love it.

Comment

• ebysea
            ebysea commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you! I am thinking of just grilling on her first to start learning how to manipulate the fire.

• BGWolf
            BGWolf commented
            Editing a comment
            It is a little bit of a learning curve, remember it's easier to raise the temp than lower the temp, and after you change the vents it can take awhile to see the results.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            OK, first recommended lessons: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don't be expecting a lot of recipes, but do be amazed by how many ways of cooking it gives you!

BTW, you’re gonna need a separate bank account...Enjoy 😎!

Comment

ebysea themlower the temp themeasier it is to control the temp. Go to this link for some helpful guidance on learning to control temp on your Kamado. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-savage-kamado

Comment

• ebysea
              ebysea commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you! @LAPorkButt

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Great reference!

Originally posted by Willard View Post
            BTW, you’re gonna need a separate bank account...Enjoy 😎!

Comment

She is home! I did a surface clean interior and exterior... I am hoping I can fit in a high burn tomorrow to clean up anything that may be lurking from being in storage for over a year. Very excited! Click image for larger version

Name:	E221571D-F111-4B67-ACDA-3AA8907092A4.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	508282

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Congrats, She's a beauty!
                I'm certain all kinda great foods are gonna come outta Her!

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Good. As long as you use a quality lump charcoal you will be golden. 👍

• SmokeyGator
                SmokeyGator commented
                Editing a comment
                You are going to be happy. Great deal and a versitle cooker. And with the insulating properties when the night air gets cool, not a problem. You won’t get a big temperature swing.

Don’t know about nor’easters though. Or thick mountains of snow. I don’t get much of that south of the Deep South

Congrats! I had a learning curve on vent settings and temps with my BGE at first, but once I figured it out it's great. What's your first cook going to be?

Comment

• ebysea
                ebysea commented
                Editing a comment
                @dshaffesy first cook will something simple and cheap... like burgers. I want to play around with it first, I haven’t used charcoal since I was a kid... but I hope to smoke something soon. I also want to try a duck!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here