Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kamado Joe Weight ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kamado Joe Weight ?

I am looking to take the plunge into the world of Kamado grilling. I was looking at the Joe-Stand alone Classic - the 18 in model.
    Seems to check all the boxes. The kicker - it has to be hauled up to the 5th floor for install, with one spiral staircase along the way (unless it lives in a small outdoor alcove.

For those of you with the Joe, how light can I get it by removing all the accessories non-essential parts to haul it up? Due to stair width, this has to be a 2 person job at most.

Thanks!

The total weight of KJ classic is 188 lbs so I'm guessing the shell by itself will weight around 90/100 lbs. It will be a slow process but two healthy men should be able to handle it.
    Welcome to The Pit!
    Last edited by DWCowles; December 30, 2017, 06:40 AM.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree!

We need pics of the epic journey up the stairs! Video even of the spiral ascent!

This will be awesome!

Welcome to the pit!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from NE Washington state. Along with tips, techniques, and recipes about BBQ we have a lot of fun. If you like music, go to this thread to hear what others are listening to and share what you like. For jokes, go to this thread. Happy to have you along and looking forward to your participation. Best to you getting the cooker to its new home.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I don’t know anything about the KJ weights, but I had a friend get an XL BGE and he was able to get that upstairs (narrow staircase). He admitted it was NOT easy, but it is well worth it!

I would think you could remove the lid and take out some internals to distribute the load among several trips.

Comment

I have emptied mine out and can pick it up to move it, for the stairs you could strap it to a 2 wheel dolly and move it that way

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies! Looks like a doable project and I will owe my buddy a case of beer and some ribs instead of my first born. I'll try and get a camera going for the action per request.

This is a fantastic website, glad I stumbled on it.

Comment

Just don’t stumble when you...... never mind, negative thoughts not welcome. But you are welcome aboard, eat good & have fun when ya git it up there.
                By the way, Kamado Joe, 5th floor? Where the heck are you?

Comment

You can remove the cooker from the rolling base.
                  You can take out the fire ring and the firebox.
                  If it is still too heavy, you can loosen the bands and actually take the top half off of the assembly.
                  You might not need that step, but if you do, it can be done.

That's assuming it's a before 2017 Classic.

If it's a Classic II
                  The firebox/fire ring are all one assembly that can still be dismantled.

Most people are afraid to loosen the bands, right up until they need to replace either the top, the bottom or the bands themselves. Suddenly, they get the courage to do the deed.

So, nothing to be afraid of, just be careful if you do the full dismantle. Take some pictures so you remember exactly how everything goes together.

Best regards,
                  Jim

Comment

There's always the brute force option .......

Click image for larger version

Name:	block-tackle.png
Views:	2663
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	433939

Comment

This is an adventure made for the Pit! Welcome!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here