Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kamado Joe "Pro Joe"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kamado Joe "Pro Joe"

I've seen a few teasers of this on Facebook etc but does anyone have more complete info on this new cooker?

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Neat!

Looks very cool and super expensive.

Comment

yes it looks really cool. Anyone have an idea as to how much this beauty will set you back???

Comment

Absolutely beautiful ...... and expensive .... $7,995

Pro Joe

Comment

Whoa!!!! For the money, I think I would still go with the Komodo Kamado.

That being said, these are pretty sweet. I mean the lid only weighs 175 lbs........

Comment

• vandy
            vandy commented
            Editing a comment
            You could get a big bad 32 for about 2 grand less. That would be sweet! Or a big bad 42 for a little more than 1 grand more, that would be really sweet!! I can't afford either but at least I can dream.

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah big bad seems like a better deal as the lid weight is irrelevant on the KK since it has hinge assist.

I thought this joe would be closer to the blaze aluminum one for a little over 2k.

Max Good - that is the old Pro Joe which they no longer make. Surprisingly, they only made a couple dozen of those beauties so they are bound to be real collectors items.

The new Pro Joe is all ceramic and looks like a taller, shinier, Big Joe:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 1.56.22 PM.png
Views:	659
Size:	563.6 KB
ID:	425852

I believe the anticipated price is in the $4k range.

Comment

The latest Kamado Joe family portrait:

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 2.04.40 PM.png
Views:	1272
Size:	338.1 KB
ID:	425855

Comment

• vandy
              vandy commented
              Editing a comment
              The pro is quite a bit taller than the big joe. Question, how did you obtain a photo of the pro along with it's siblings? Just curious since it is not on the market yet, that I know of anyway.

Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

For that kind of money I would just buy me another stickburner because so far I'm not very impress with my Kamado Joe Big Joe but it could be something that I'm doing wrong also.

Comment

• vandy
                vandy commented
                Editing a comment
                WOW! That was an unexpected comment DW. As a Lang owner and now a KJ owner I have been very impressed with the KJ. So far everything I have cooked on the KJ has been just as good or better than anything I have done on the Lang. I have found that I can add just as much smoke with it as I can the Lang.

vandy - The owner of Kamado Joe (Bobby Brennan) frequently posts pics of prototypes and things coming down the pipeline in a couple of Facebook groups.

KJ has a few interesting things coming to market early next year. They're also working on a neat pizza cooking accessory. Next year should be a good year for KJ.

DWCowles - A kamado is a jack of all trades and master of none. A kamado won't necessarily give the exact results of a stick burner. In my opinion tho, in a blind taste test, very few people would be able to tell the difference in a brisket or a butt done on either type of grill by someone that knows what they are doing with their respective grills.

On the other hand, a kamado will let one do a 12 hour brisket cook pretty much unattended. Can't do that with a stick burner.

Comment

• vandy
                vandy commented
                Editing a comment
                Histrix I guess I must have missed that photo on Facebook. I have heard of the upcoming release of the pro but have only seen drawings of it. Thanks for posting this, it gives me more of an idea what it will looks like.

• DWCowles
                DWCowles commented
                Editing a comment
                I haven't done but 3 or 4 cooks with the Kamado Joe so I still have a lot to learn with it. I agreed with the 12 hr unattended cook with the KJ vs the stickburner but so far not the taste.

• vandy
                vandy commented
                Editing a comment
                A Kamado may not be a jack of all trades but so far everything I have cooked on my big joe has been just as good or better than anything I ever cooked on my Lang. I can add just as much or more smoke flavor on the KJ as I can the Lang. I can do all of that without having to baby sit it also.

Anyone know the release date for the Pro Joe?

Comment

The new Pro-Joe is one of the most interesting cookers I have heard about in some time because what I have been told (not seen in writing) is that the same team who worked on cooker technology for one of the engineering schools in Boston is working on this project. I heard it was MIT but the quick search I did said, Harvard. Regardless, I understand, some of the technology will be implemented in both the cooker and the new iKamand. Either way, it should be fun to see how this develops.

Pitmasters, this will be hard to swallow: Some of the best smoked brisket comes out of Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Comment

allsid - I have no idea as to who was involved in the new Pro Joe design but I remember that article from a couple years ago and as you recall what the students came up with in their design was the unique shape of their cooker which departed quite radically from a traditional kamado (at least in shape). We see none of that shape in the new Pro Joe. At least on the outside.

The insides could perhaps have interior wall shapes that contribute to the air currents of the student's hyperboloid shape. Beats me. However, this rendering from KJ showing how the new Pro Joe will be delivered in two separate boxes and will require some assembly does not reveal anything out of the ordinary internally:

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 3.28.55 AM.png
Views:	672
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	427161

Of course, there could be some sort of "secret sauce" that will be installed from one of the boxes that will contribute to that swirling airflow of the hyperboloid cooker. Dunno.

KJ had a mockup of a control unit at least 3 or 4 years ago (well before the article about the students project). There seemed to be nothing happening with that project and it was pretty much forgotten about until KJ started showing prototypes of the iKamand some months ago which looks quite different from that earlier unit.

I think a unit like the iKamand becomes viable now because these days more people are accepting of the idea that you can setup/run a pit controller with just an app and not actually have to have a display screen/control buttons on the unit. Again, I have no knowledge as to the details of the brains of the iKamand hardware but these days the logic/algorithms of pit controllers are pretty widely known but I guess the iKamand could have some special tricks up its sleeve that have not already been implemented in the brains of the other controllers on the market. I think we'll find out in a month or three.

Comment

• allsid
                    allsid commented
                    Editing a comment
                    whatever they end up doing Histrix I will be all ears.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here