Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new segmented firebowl from KJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new segmented firebowl from KJ

This arrived for me today feels much heavier than the old 2 piece. Just kind of feel i should use it at a planter. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170410_182907.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	303094

It seems like it's designed to prevent cracking.

Comment

I think this is a good thing. Any cracking now, you just have to replace a segment. But I wouldn't know, never owned one of these things! But it's been on my short list.

Comment

I like the idea. However, is there a ring at the bottom to hold the pedals in place? Or does the cast iron fire grate lock everything together? I am Curious if it is possible to remove the cast iron grate and replace it with the Kick Ash Basket. Not a huge fan of those Fire Grates, they plug up pretty easy. In my experience.

Comment

• customtrim
          customtrim commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker there is a seperate ring on the bottom with a groove for the segments to sit in. The grate is just sitting on them like the old way so could probably still use the basket. I have never had a problem with air flow on mine

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice! That is great to hear. Looks like I will be getting a new hot plate fro the table when I get my Big Joe. customtrim

congrats customtrim Look like a nice upgrade, and I guess anyone under warranty will ultimately end up with one of the new ones.

Spinaker I think there's a ring at the top that locks the petals in place. So, we should be able to use the Kick-Ash basket with the new setup.

I'm sure some of the parts will still crack. But, it lowers the cost of replacement for KJ dramatically. Smaller part, lower shipping cost.

Best regards,
        Jim

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I like that ring at the top. That thing is sweet! But wouldn't you think there would also be something at the bottom for the pedals to push against? Maybe not. I would like to see some pics of that though. What say you, my friend?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017KJFirebox.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	303201

Borrowed from the Kamado Joe forum. Looks like the bottom piece has a lip that holds the removable ash tray. The pieces are just pushed up against that ring, and the top ring locks it all in place.

Best regards,
        Jim

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! This is gorgeous.

I think Baby Back Maniac covered it well at about the 7 minute mark in this video. The petals sit in it's own ring. The grate just sits on the ring itself. Good video too... Has me wondering if I really want that Weber Summit Charcoal grill, or one of these egg shaped things!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Honestly the Summit might be more up your alley. You like black steel and chrome?

• lonnie mac
          lonnie mac commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep man I think I am getting very close to one!

I just put my new Joe together. Going to get the kick Ash basket and it should work fine. The new devider is CI and screws into the standard CI grate. It may be easier to leave it attached and swap when needed for a dividend fire.
        ​

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Quetopia carries them, if you wanna drive over and grab one. Or you can just order them.

• SMO
          SMO commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Spinaker will have to try Quetopia. Haven't been there yet.

Originally posted by customtrim View Post
        This arrived for me today feels much heavier than the old 2 piece. Just kind of feel i should use it at a planter. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170410_182907.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	303094
        Were you able to use the original the fire grate in the bottom?

Comment

• customtrim
          customtrim commented
          Editing a comment
          997cab yes the original grate just sits down at the bottom of it like the old style

that first picture is like an optical illusion. i can make it concave and convex just by staring at it differently

Comment

• customtrim
          customtrim commented
          Editing a comment
          How true never noticed that

How do you guys like the new chimney cap? customtrim SMO Any dripping issues?

Comment

• SMO
          SMO commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker I'll post what I find after a few longer cooks.
          Last edited by SMO; April 11, 2017, 09:27 PM.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool, thanks! SMO

• SMO
          SMO commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker After many cooks, both low and high temps, I do see a little dripping from the chimney cap. Not a great deal and easily wiped off after things cool down. It does happen but isn't more than escapes from my gasser! I don't see it as a deal breaker.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here