Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCS continues!!! KAMADO JOE Jr, Joins the ranks!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'be done Boston Butts and Brisket flats on my son-in-law's with good results. I have never done ribs. I keep forgetting I roll them up like you did. If you aren't cooking for a crowd I believe the KJjr will become your go to. Thanks for reminding me about the ribs with your good looking ones- and tasting, too.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
      I'be done Boston Butts and Brisket flats on my son-in-law's with good results. I have never done ribs. I keep forgetting I roll them up like you did. If you aren't cooking for a crowd I believe the KJjr will become your go to. Thanks for reminding me about the ribs with your good looking ones- and tasting, too.
      Yeah it was slick!! This is gonna become my go to cooker for a while any way. It so easy to run. And it does a great job of smoking too. These rubs were so hot from the rub, I could only eat 4 bones!! But they were killer. The flavor was excellent. It does taste different than the stuff that i get out of my other Kamado. (KEG).

I am going to do a Chuckie later this week. I picked up a 5 lber from Hy-Vee today. i also got some Beef long Bones as well. I've got a lot of meat to run through the new rig. I also cant wait to try meathead Salmon recipe on this bad boy. Bacon is gonna be killer too..........and so on and so on.

Comment

Spin, When I saw your Rib Coil, I thought immediately how good a Pineapple nested on them for the last hour or so? Dust it with Brown Sugar and???
        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Danjohnston949 View Post
          Spin, When I saw your Rib Coil, I thought immediately how good a Pineapple nested on them for the last hour or so? Dust it with Brown Sugar and???
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
          I thought about that Dan. I also thought about dumping into the middle, some sliced pineapple. Just to see what would happen. I think I am gonna try that. And maybe some sweet heat Polynesian flavors? What do you think? I bet Guest could help me out with that, given she's published in the art!!

Comment

Nice dude ! I was peeping your instagram and was wondering what the Jr was all about

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Named after the old man.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              PM me your instagram too!!

JCBBQ I tried posting a comment for you on page 2, but I had way too many characters...

I started with the Jr. as my first smoker about six years ago or so. I often wish I had gone with the XL, but the Jr. looked huge at the time. I would think the only advantage to a smaller cooker is that it takes less charcoal and time to heat it up. The only person I've ever met who did have both an XL and a Jr. used the XL for all long cooks and the Jr. for hot and fast, particularly when he was doing things like reverse sear. He also had plenty of money to throw at these kinds of things, too.

nails it on the head...I find the Jr. really quick to come up to temp and perfectly suited for smaller cooks. A rack or two of ribs, a couple of steaks, meatloaf, small brisket...all great on the Primo (and the PK for that matter). Even on the Jr. i use the firebox divider sometimes, particularly for reverse sear steaks or meatloaf. And the Jr. is definitely a searing machine.

If you're looking to add something to compliment your XL, I'd look at a PK classic.

Just my opinions, which could change with the next cooking experience...Like
            Last edited by carolts; January 18, 2017, 12:42 PM. Reason: fixing stupid typos...

Comment

carolts I sear on the XL by flipping the extender rack upside down and fitting it right over the coals. I'm pretty sure I saw that on this site somewhere. There is nothing better. I think i'll go bigger before going smaller. I'm going to keep my powder dry and wait for the day I get an off-set stick burner. I've come to realized the Primo does everything REALLY well. I don't need anything, it's just that the off-sets look fun. Here's the visual on my sear station:

Click image for larger version

Name:	rib eye searing.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	264998

Comment

• carolts
                carolts commented
                Editing a comment
                I do the same thing only smaller -- one steak at a time. When you do go big, be sure to look at the KBQ. I'm having a blast with mine.

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a Breadhead move!

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                And thats where MCS comes in.

Gonna give Jr the heat tonight. I picked a ribeye steak for the SV tonight. Can't wait to post some pictures of those flames roasting that ribeye.
              I am planning on SV at 129 F for an hour and a half then sear the steak at 600 F.

Gonna be a fun cook. I just wish it didn't get dark at 4 :30 pm! Especially when its a balmy 40 F outside!

Comment

• JCBBQ
                JCBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                I know, the SV is turning me into a bit of a baby. I made a steak last night and I was thinking, "Weeeeeellll maybe i'll just sear it in the cast iron on the stove"

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here