Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCS continues!!! KAMADO JOE Jr, Joins the ranks!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Histrix
    Thanks for your words of wisdom today!! I have the Joe running right now. She is holding strong at 230 F. I am just doing a dry run. This rig definitely heats up slower that my KEG. I wasn't sure if there thermo was working!! But I already like it more. the lower damper is really solid and slides tight. (Not the case with my KEG. There is a little play in it. ) So far I am very impressed with the build quality. I would like to do some small 4 or 5 pounds butts on the Jr which should fit perfect, if the 9 lber was a bit tight. but its great to know that I can scale up if needed.

And thank you for the links too. I got this primarily to do searing for my SV cooks. I didn't like the idea of having to fire up the 18' KEG just to sear for a minute each side. I can do much more efficient searing with this lil' monster.

I am going to get the ash basket, for sure. They were out of the Jrs at my supply store so I will have to order that one.

Thanks Again buddy, your the man............and everyone else that commented and abetted my most recent relapse into MCS!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2373.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	263497Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8448.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	263498
    WE ARE GONNA GET ALONG JUST GREAT!!

Comment

Hey Spinaker Congratulations on the KJ!! Have fun with it.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, Thanks Skip!! Chilly down in Blue Earth? Nice to have a bit of a break from the arctic air, eh?

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes good cooking weather for MN in Jan. You will like the KJ and Ash Basket. Try a pizza sometime.

Damn, you had to show me more pics of that little sucker. Now you've really got me thinking. I'm looking forward to seeing how that little baby holds temps where you are at in MN. That might just make up my mind for cold weather cooks. Please show some pics when you get cooking. Thanks man.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I've had it going for about 6 hours now..........still holding at a solid 225 F. This sucker is rock solid........6 F ambient temp.

Congrats! Looks sweet.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Hawk!! I am pretty pumped about getting one of the last black ones.

I've recently rediscovered how much I like my ceramic Primo Jr, so I know you're gonna put your KJ through its paces. We did a flank steak on the Primo last night. It's always a fight between the Primo and PK, with the Primo getting the nod for smaller long low-n-slow (especially now with the Party Q!).

Congrats on your new toy, and I love the stand!

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Funny, this thread got me thinking about a Jr. I'm just thinking w the divider on the XL I don't really need anything smaller. What're your thoughts carolts?

Congrats on the new purchase, Baby Back Maniac had a vid on BGE minimax not sure if relevant to you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUCocNEbKSs

Comment

tbob4 so glad I could help you with your MCS acquisitions! Spinaker, that's an awesome pickup. Like others have said, I'm sure you can do a whole pork butt, a couple chickens, a smaller turkey, chuck roasts, and so on with that 13.5" grate. That's the same size as the small WSM and I know folks fit whole pork butts on those.

Can't wait to see your first cook with it.

Comment

Congrats on the purchase Spinaker . Someday I'll add one of those to my KJ Classic. But, since I got the red classic, I'll probably add the red Jr. Or, just get the floor deal at a Costco road show, and buy the floor model of the Big Joe. The person who buys the demo also gets the floor model Jr. as a free add-in. I could name them Papa Bear, Mama Bear, and Baby Bear

BTW, if anyone really wants a black KJ Jr., check any local area Ace Hardware stores that are carrying any KJ stuff. I've got 2 Ace stores relatively near, and they both have black KJ Jr. units as their floor demo. They don't stock the bigger ones, but they've got the small one on the floor. One has it for $450 and the other at $400. Never had charcoal, and still have warranties. I don't think they sell the Jr. units very often, so they just stay on the floor as samples.

Jim

Comment

Dang I want a Kamado Joe so Bad! So jealous!! Enjoy that bad boy!

Comment

Spinaker, Spin, You are going to have to build a New Deck or Patio for all Your Cookers! Perhaps You could add a Handicap Lift to Move Them! I have one and it Works Great! It would work with a hand truck to move Your Cast Iron!
              👍👍👍👍👍
              Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	4.71 MB ID:	263784Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.24 MB ID:	263785Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.74 MB ID:	263781Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	4.17 MB ID:	263789
              Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Great Set up Dan!

I am doing my first cook on my New KJ Jr. Man, I really love this thing so far. I fired it up and within about 20 mins it was ready to go. I let it heat soak for about 30 mins and she settled in at about 250 F. I added some Hickory chunks to the charcoal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6917.JPG Views:	2 Size:	4.23 MB ID:	263891
              Below is a picture of the ribs I am doing. I coiled them up so they could fit on to the 13 " grate. I used two 12" skewers to hold the rack in place. I am using some Oak Ridge BBQ Crucible Rub. Ghost Peppers. Lets Go! Then I covered it in light brown sugar. Here is the rack after I let it sit for a while. These are gone be killer. I am going to brush with Texas Rib Candy with about 30 mins left in the cook.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1893.JPG Views:	2 Size:	1.52 MB ID:	263892Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4903.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.21 MB ID:	263888Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5806.JPG Views:	2 Size:	4.66 MB ID:	263893
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5622.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.58 MB ID:	263894
              Here they after about an hour in the KJ jr. Looking good!
              Attached Files

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Looking good! If I wasn't busy cooking a pork butt, I'd come over for ribs ;-)

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                Genius.

• carolts
                carolts commented
                Editing a comment
                I coil ribs on my Primo Jr too. Yours looks really awesome.

I am wondering if I broke my nose when I did a face plant into my monitor. That looks splendiferous.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Splendiferous indeed!! I just checked them, and they look amazing.

Would like us to bring to pass? I would feel just a little guilty if you don't let us bring something. There are some dinner rolls in the freezer that would be thawed by the time I get there.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Hahahahaha, No chance these last that long!!!

That little guy is sweet! Like the way ya rolled the ribs, really cool!

Comment

Name:	IMG_1710.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	263971 This was a great first cook! No sauce. Just the rub and Hickory smoke. The KJ performed wonderfully.

Name:	IMG_1706.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	263969
                Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here