Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCS continues!!! KAMADO JOE Jr, Joins the ranks!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MCS continues!!! KAMADO JOE Jr, Joins the ranks!!

I was looking online for a small ceramic cooker last night, and I came across a Mini Big Green Egg on CL. I asked here in the Pit what people thought and most said it would work great. And there is no doubt that it would. However, Histrix mentioned, a used Egg has no warranty....send the extra money for a warranty....by that point you might as well get a KJ Jr.......... and so I thought about it........and.......

I stopped in at my local BBQ supply store (Quetopia) to see what he had on hand or if they were running any sales. It turns out, they were!!! I got this BLACK Kamado Joe Jr. for $400!!! They are normally $550. I just couldn't pass it up. I was thinking I needed to go a bit bigger than what the Big Green Egg Mini could offer. (10 " cooking surface) So the KJ JR fits this perfect with a grate size of 13.5 " I can get two steaks in there at a time! Huge plus for my recent SV purchase. I figure i can also do some small smokes at higher temps. I cant wait to get this baby going. It came with everything included too (unlike the Green guys) I've always wanted a true Ceramic Kamado. Now I have my wish!!!

Thank You MCS. (although my Bank account took a hit this week.)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8012.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	263400

Very nice price and congrats! Looking forward to seeing your cooks on it!

Comment

Congrats on your first MCS purchase of 2017. Only 11.5 months left for this year to get more MCS purchases in.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh no, not the first. I got the Joule and new GG's for the KEG. This was my third MCS purchase and January ain't even half over yet!!!

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol ..........

Nice. I've been doing very well with my MCS. I ate tag soup this deer season, last day to hunt for me was today and I am sick. Working until 2:10 in the A.M. doesn't help much.

I need another scope for my gun so that darn near $500 w/ tax will surely keep my MCS at bay, although I wasn't looking at spending more than $300-$1800 (depending on the day of the week it starts itching).
      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; January 14, 2017, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Get into them crystal optics, prices go up quick............

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        I still pray one day Trijicon will do a 75% off sale just for me.

Nice score! I'd like having one of those myself someday.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Figured you'd have a few already........🤓

Congratulations. I gave my son-in-law one and I love to cook on it at his house. I have the MiniMax and would rather have the Joe Jr.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I like to hear that. I was deciding between those two. Thanks!

Nice!!!

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!! Really pumped about this one.

Sweet pickup Spinaker. I've been pondering a ceramic cooker for myself someday. Who knows maybe sooner than later. BTW I thought those GGs were for your keyboard. Ha

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        True story. Hahahahaha

Very nice! I'm glad Histrix chimed in. That's one of the best feature of this place (or worst if MCS has got you too tightly in its grips). I remember being a second away from ordering a digiQ (still may get one this year) but ecowper really sold me on the Fireboard. I'm looking forward to photos of your cooks!

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks dude!

Congrats

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks DW!

Beauty!

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes it is. Thanks Scott!

You got a nice rare black one to boot how sweet

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah! I was pumped when I saw it. There was no way I was walking outta there with out it. Sale or not.

You lucky bugger! I'd love to be able to find a KJ Jr. in black. Wish KJ still made the black ones but I understand why they stopped.

You can do more than "small" smokes. I did a 9lb pork butt on my Jr. once. Was actually a bit surprised it fit (and it didn't even interfere with the dome thermo). I probably won't do that again but if I did (or you do) I would rotate the butt at about the halfway point. I didn't and the backside of the butt was a little overdone with very hard bark.

Let me help you spend some more money.

This griddle fits just right in the KJ Jr.:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=amazi0a8-20

It fits fine as is but you have to place it just right so it won't interfere with the dome (the little wire handles actually help with that). I did end up just grinding off one side of the "wings" just so I didn't have to place it so carefully. I use mostly the smooth side for smashburgers.

I already had this as part of the grate for my Weber Kettle and found that it fits nicely right on top of the fire ring of the Jr. Perfect for searing after sous vide as it puts the meat about an inch above a full load of lump.

And, while not a necessity, a Kick Ash basket for the Jr. is (to me anyway) very useful and will, among other uses, help the Jr. get blazing hot a bit quicker than the stock grate:

Kick Ash Basket has grill accessories & charcoal baskets for easy, tasty grilling. Shop our site for grilling essentials like coal ash cans, dividers, & more!

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!! More Below........

Nice lookin cooker you scored there!

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        YO NATE! Thanks Buddy. i am really happy with it so far. Heavy Lil monster though.

Nice cooker, Brotherman!!!! Spinaker
      I jus' knows that ya will make it sing like an Angel!!!

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Bones!! You know I will. I"ll blow some of that sweet blue smoke down the plains to ya!! Ha!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker Thanks Brother, I'll be waitin' with 'bated breath', literally!!! Keep that smoke a rollin'!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here