Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Pizza Set Up (For SheilaAnn)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Pizza Set Up (For SheilaAnn)

SheilaAnn Here's how I'm setting up right now. I don't know if you can do this on a Joe Jr. but perhaps others do.

First pic shows the difference from the top of the coal basket to the top of the divide and conquer rack

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4112.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1314329

Then the star attachment goes on the top of the divide and conquer system and the deflector plates installed on top:

Name:	IMG_4113.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	1314328

Next, fire bricks are placed on top of the deflectors

Name:	IMG_4114.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	1314331

The pizza stone is placed on top of the bricks

Name:	IMG_4115.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1314333 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4117.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1314332

So the pizza is a full foot above the charcoal basket here. I started doing this because I was burning the bottom of my pizza. Perhaps there are some Joe Jr. owners here who can shed light on how to make it work in that vessel.
    Attached Files

Mine is very similar to this. But, instead of bricks, I just bunch/roll up a wad of foil in the shape of a “C” to create the air gap (same principle of the bricks). I make 2 “C”s to make a full circle.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah yes, C+C=O.

My Large BGE set up is very similar too. My accessories came from the Ceramic Grill Store. Here's the link for you SheilaAnn if you want it. The CGS has good stuff and you can talk to a real person too.

Shop best prices and most useful kamado accessories. ✔️Awesome package deals Big Green EGG & Primo Oval grills. ✔️Retail store Dallas, Fort Worth - Denton TX.

Comment

Thanks for the guidance….

Comment

I’m going to try my first KJJr pizza on Friday!

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Lookin' forward to the photos.

I need to try a version of this. I've done 3 pizzas so far and the last one was burnt on the bottom. Seems like as long as you create an air gap should work. Going to find a couple of bricks and report back.

Comment

I've also found that a set up simlar to this (air gap to prevent burnt crust) whereas the toppings are closer to the dome allow for a more even cook.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly. I do that on my kettle or kamado, using a Hovergrill to get the pizza even higher than the regular cooking grate.

The way of the Pit is to just buy a pizza oven and appease the MCS gods.

Comment

This is the set up you are using to bake your Neapolitan pizzas? I’ve devised a few plans already for my pizza steel being put on my summit kamado. This is great to see.

Comment

• hoovarmin
              hoovarmin commented
              Editing a comment
              Richard Chrz I did use this until I bought my Ooni Karu 16 dual fuel. Both worked great, however the Kamado is tough to refuel and bring back up to temp between pies. The Karu is easy as pie cause I ran a gas line to my Cabana and have it on the same propane line as the house. Since the pies are done in 60-70 seconds, wood isn't going to add much flavor. That said, I've been told that wood/charcoal mix gets you up to cooking temp much faster than propane. I haven't tried that, yet.
              Last edited by hoovarmin; October 10, 2023, 04:01 PM. Reason: added info

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here