Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kamado Joe vent settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kamado Joe vent settings

Does anyone with a Big Joe have photos of their vents settings for different temps they could share? I'm blown away by how efficient this cooker is. I had to dial waaaayyyy back on the vents to get to 225, further than I thought the cooker could stay lit.

So…I had the same question with my Akorn.

Jim pointed out that the instruction manual actually had recommendations. Does yours?

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Unfortunately it does not

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a bummer.

Not a KJ, but my BGE will run 225* on the leakage between the halves, with the bottom vent opened about 1/16”.

Comment

I’ve got the KJ with the old daisy wheel so I’m not much help, but you might check out John Setzler/Man Cave Meals on YouTube, he’s got a ton of videos with the KJ. There might be some on the KJ YouTube channel too since he was doing videos for them for a while.

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks bro

"SMOKINGDADBBQ" A lot of useful information from his series of videos.In particular on this vid (at the 36:36 mark) explains some of the more popular temp vent settings for the Big Joe. I have a Classic Joe and the settings referenced in the video are accurate for it as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3nv...=SmokingDadBBQ
      Last edited by Tartan1896; April 24, 2022, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, he is a good one. I've just started watching his vids. Thanks.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey their Tartan, howdy do you do! Git over to the interdict yerself page & do such. Thanks & welcome!

I echo Tartan1896’s recommendation on the SmokinDad YouTube video. I’ve found his suggestions work pretty well on my Big Joe.

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Larry!

Try this: How to get Kamado Joe to 225? (Explained) (bbqdropout.com)

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, I'll check it out.

Let me also add to the vent settings suggestions that I’ve found the practice of making sure the dome is heat soaked makes a huge difference in stability. The SmokingDad videos also emphasize that. FWIW.

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent advice

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here