Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Classic III with Fireboard Drive and Pit Viper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic III with Fireboard Drive and Pit Viper

[SOUNDCLOUD][/SOUNDCLOUD]All I can say is wow. I’ve had my KJ for 1.5 years and when I got it decided that I was not going to get any kind of fan/controller until I’d figured out how to control temperature without it (I’m a crotchety young person—I plan to be 100, so 50 is young—and hate being dependent on technology).

I reached the point that I was comfortable enough to start my fan/controller shopping and after much research (including a lot of reading here) decided on the Fireboard Drive and Pit Viper combo. I was expecting great things from a temperature control perspective, which it delivers completely, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well the precise control decreases my charcoal usage. I smoked some St. Louis ribs (and hot smoked a little salmon at the front end), ran for about 6.5 hours at 225 and think I burned through less than 1/4 basket and I stayed solidly at 225 the whole way through.

St Louis Ribs https://share.fireboard.io/DEBF94 data from that cook if anyone is interested.

I’d love if there was a wireless probe I could use with the Fireboard so I could use with my rotisserie, so I guess I’ll start bugging them to do that ​
    Last edited by davidthomas8779; January 30, 2022, 01:55 PM.

davidthomas8779 ". . . hate being dependent on technology" know the feeling. My Traeger doesn't work without power. The last time I lost power for a couple of days I used our gas camping grill.
    That being said, I do love technology when it works. Cheers.

Comment

Very nice cook and a great outcome.

It is amazing what a FireBoard and good fan can do on a kamado. The cook ran dead flat to the set point!

Comment

I have the exact same setup with my classic II. I will never use it for smoking again without the fan. It just makes it easier, and not worrying about micromanaging vents gives me more time to do last minute shopping for side dish ingredients. Or beer. Mostly beer.

Comment

I just received the FireBoard 2 Drive and can't wait to try it out with my pit viper fan. I've been using the BBQ Guru CyberQCloud with my Shotgun cabinet style smoker and can't seem to fix a problem where pit temperature starts oscillating with an increasing amplitude during the cook. I've tried every suggested solution and it just does that. I have a (discontinued now) PartyQ that can do a much better job at keeping the cook temp constant.

So, after reading your and other posts I got the FireBoard and am looking forward to using it without having to run an extension cord or use the ShareMyCook app. I thought seriously about the Bellows but went with the FireBoard based on the experience of others. Plus the fact that I already had the pit viper fan!

So wish me luck - I'm going to throw on a pork butt this Friday (too busy until then).

Comment

If you ever look for an alternative I suggest the Smobot. I have one on my KJ classic and one on my Big Joe. I couldn’t ask for better temp control and there’s no fan needed.

Comment

Update: The new FireBoard 2 Drive worked like a champ with the Pit Viper fan. Temp was rock solid and my pork butt was outstanding. I suck because I didn't take pictures - people were coming over, yadda yadda yadda. Next time! Thanks to all who posted about this equipment - it really helped my decision. BTW, the cook ran for almost 12 hours (including warm-up). I had the FireBoard connected to their FireBoard battery pack and, even running the fan, it used only about 1/4 of the backup battery and left the internal battery with a full charge. I'm thinking this could easily run 48 hours!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here