Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kamado Joe 18" -- is this a good deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WillTravelForFood
    replied
    Well, boo.

Apparently, the sale **just ended**,, so it's back up to the normal price. Shoulda pulled the trigger and decided whether to keep it or not later.

You can return to your normal BBQ programming.

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    replied
    No need at all to move it off your wooden deck. Of course, be careful, but mine doesn’t move and I never worry about it.

Leave a comment:

• WillTravelForFood
    replied
    Originally posted by smokin fool View Post
    Buying it for the sake of buying because its a good deal and end up using it like the Weber, its a waste of money IMHO.
    Totally agree with you on this observation.

expected use cases: primarily smoking or other long slow cooks (ribs? pork butt? turkey/chickens?). Possibly pizza or other similar things I would be hesitant to put on the gas grill. We've done a lot of "smoke" on the gasser with okay-for-us results, but nothing a true smokebox would kick.

It'd either be something like this or a pellet of some nature.

Figure the Ceramic accessories will cost a smidge (Billows/iKamand, heat diffuser... but no idea what would actually be needed along the way when starting out.

What would be a PRO / CON of going ceramic vs weber kettle from a novice perspective?

Leave a comment:

• smokin fool
    replied
    Buying it for the sake of buying because its a good deal and end up using it like the Weber, its a waste of money IMHO.
    Buy it to diversify your styles of cooking, have at it.
    Size does matter in both TV's and Q's....

Leave a comment:

• Steve B
    replied
    I would consider that a great deal. I have a large BGE and a KJ jr. The large egg is 18" an is a pretty good size for everyday cooks. And would be a really good low and slow cooker. You can almost set it and forget it. And with a fan controller 100% set and forget.
    You could use it on a wood deck for sure. Just place a large BBQ mat underneath it.

Leave a comment:

• WillTravelForFood
    started a topic Kamado Joe 18" -- is this a good deal?

Kamado Joe 18" -- is this a good deal?

WalMart is currently selling an 18" red Kamado Joe for $399 (free shipping), normal price is $670.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kamado-Jo...-Red/126810886

Comes with a "premium cart", a "2-tier divide & conquer flexible cooking system", and a built-in thermometer.

-0-0

Having zero knowledge/experience in cooking in a BGE or Ceramic cooker -- would this be a worthwhile pickup? Is 18" going to be too small for practical use? Currently have a Genesis (gas) that's used a lot, and a Weber kettle that is barely used at all and almost still has that fresh grill smell.

Probably would be using this for low/slow cooking and smoking. Probably not a good idea for a wood deck, I assume - so would need to roll it out to the driveway for each cooking event, maybe?

anyway --- all thoughts and encouragement -- OR NON-ENCOURAGEMENT IF APPROPRIATE -- are appreciated.

[EDIT: deal ended shortly after this post went up ]
    Last edited by WillTravelForFood; December 8, 2021, 09:04 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here