Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Rotisserie on a Kettle Joe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Rotisserie on a Kettle Joe

The Kettle Joe was begging for a rotisserie! I adapted a Weber branded rotisserie to it. At 22" in diameter the Kettle Joe accepted the ring with a few tweaks (cut some slots) and fits well. The hinged lid is a winner on the KJ Kettle Joe. This application maxed out the hinge's elevation/lift but it works.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210321_171130658.PORTRAIT.jpg Views:	0 Size:	207.8 KB ID:	1012468

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210321_222757378.jpg Views:	0 Size:	254.4 KB ID:	1012467

Click image for larger version  Name:	good shot of slot cut and rotisserie fit.jpg Views:	0 Size:	403.7 KB ID:	1012469

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	0 Size:	142.9 KB ID:	1012470

Chickens on a stick - Tandoori on left and Dizzy Dust on right.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Chickens on a stick.JPG Views:	0 Size:	123.6 KB ID:	1012471

Last edited by Alphonse; April 3, 2021, 09:09 AM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	69E7C96D-5B91-4DA8-8FE6-D6549189B479.jpeg
Views:	1334
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	1012485Click image for larger version

Name:	FA0EBF79-E127-42F3-A953-7A6F3EE30E32.jpeg
Views:	1369
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	1012484 Pretty cool. I did my first roto cook on my 22 a few days ago. Lovin it!

Comment

That's one good lookin cooker. I see it's earned it's Blackbelt!

Comment

Predicting that the large world of Weber driven accessories would be a good fit for the Kettle Joe was expected. That adjustable height lid is a brilliant execution on their part while being a fairly simple idea.

Comment

That is looking nice!

Comment

Alphonse a follow up question on your use of the rotisserie. There are multiple beliefs on which setup is "best" for fuel/fire placement relative to the bird(s) on the shaft, but I like what I see here. Do you bank the fuel with a drip pan in between, or fuel "pile" directly under the bird?

BTW, I bought the Kettle Joe, due here tomorrow, and it's all your fault (I'm going with the modern trend of blaming someone else for my decisions ).

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
              Alphonse a follow up question on your use of the rotisserie. There are multiple beliefs on which setup is "best" for fuel/fire placement relative to the bird(s) on the shaft, but I like what I see here. Do you bank the fuel with a drip pan in between, or fuel "pile" directly under the bird?

BTW, I bought the Kettle Joe, due here tomorrow, and it's all your fault (I'm going with the modern trend of blaming someone else for my decisions ).
              Congrats on the Kettle Joe! I look forward to some feedback and cook reports.

I use the rotisserie direct fired (sans drip pan}. I've learned to not fire it too hard and throttle combustion air carefully so it doesn't get too hot. The ceramic firebox helps this kettle get really hot!

Comment

Originally posted by Alphonse View Post

Congrats on the Kettle Joe! I look forward to some feedback and cook reports.

I use the rotisserie direct fired (sans drip pan}. I've learned to not fire it too hard and throttle combustion air carefully so it doesn't get too hot. The ceramic firebox helps this kettle get really hot!
                That technique makes sense, and the pic proves the value.

I put it together yesterday afternoon, and will do burn in today, so no cooks yet. I will say I hope it cooks better than it looks. I found myself saying something along the lines of "remember Bob, this is Masterbuilt related stuff, your expectations for quality are too high." If this were expected to be a preproduction unit the flaws would be understandable. Those folks who swear off first run production stuff get a plastic trophy for prescience on this one. The porcelain work, especially at the flange of the lid is poor, and the sloroller had a two inch long void in the coating. Two of the stones came out of the box with small cracks. And the preassembled top band on the bowl had several loose fasteners. I'm sure, or at least hopeful, that the three damaged/inferior pieces noted will be replaced. From an overall fit and finish standpoint it's solidly commodity/big box store level.....which in my terms is less than a compliment. I compare it to my $270 Performer, or the $300 OKJ Bronco and it's way short. But, in the end I purchased it for the design features and how it will cook. Seeing what you have done gives me hope for that part of the equation. And there's the enjoyment I get from experimenting with mixing accessories and testing performance.

Comment

That's disappointing to hear. Hopefully they'll get you replacement parts quickly!

I don't think my preproduction unit had that many issues.

Curious as to where you bought it.
                  Last edited by Alphonse; April 22, 2021, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
                    Uncle Bob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    All Things BBQ. Called them this morning and sent pics, so they're on it.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here