Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled the trigger!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled the trigger!

My Kong is en route! I've been looking at getting a bigger (and newer) kamado to replace my Vision and I just kept coming back to this one. Love this product at this pricepoint. Now the hard part...waiting for delivery.

bbqLuv might suggest that PBR helps with the waiting. Congrats on the new grill, excited to see your posts from that one. We just need to get these grill companies up to date offering same day delivery like Amazon!

Comment

• dtresca
      dtresca commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed! Amazon has spoiled us! Now where is that PBR...?

Congrats on the new Kamado. I bet your wife hopes and prays you are home for that delivery. I did my wife wrong or maybe the Navy did her wrong one time on a grill delivery. Ears are still ringing on that one.

Comment

• dtresca
      dtresca commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah. This was part of the deal. I will be working from home that day!

• tiewunon
      tiewunon commented
      Editing a comment
      dtresca I knew your wife seen your low and outside pitch on that one. She took you yard... After my fiasco my better 90% is wise too my ways and would never let anything like that fly again. Hope the new cooker arrives unscathed...

That’s great. Keep us in the loop when it arrives.

Comment

• dtresca
      dtresca commented
      Editing a comment
      Will do! Should be here tomorrow. I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve!

Congrats! Let us know how you like the Kong! It certainly seems to be a lot of Kamado for the money, and with that upper expansion grate, can hold a lot of food! If I were ever buying a Kamado, it would be on my short list for sure!

I was just on their website, and am surprised that the diffuser is not included in the base price. I think the diffuser and the cover are a definite must.
    Last edited by jfmorris; February 11, 2021, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• dtresca
      dtresca commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! And I agree. Bought the cover and the split diffuser. Though the split diffuser is on back order.
      Last edited by dtresca; February 11, 2021, 10:40 PM.

Congrats on the new rig!

Comment

• dtresca
      dtresca commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! Should be here tomorrow!

After some delays because of the weather, it finally arrived! -32 wind chill or not, I already have it unpacked and in the garage. I'll get it put together in the next couple of days when I can get some help from a buddy to lift it.
    Attached Files

Comment

• tiewunon
      tiewunon commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to see it has arrived an no mention of damage. Definitely wait for the friend you are in the home stretch now. No use in damaging the Kong and more importantly yourself.

• dtresca
      dtresca commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed! So happy I didn't find any damage. I will definitely be taking my time (with help!) to get this bad boy set up.

Congrats on the new cooker, eager to hear your opinion on it.

Comment

Nice score, I like it. Now some of those nice Omaha steaks

Comment

Congrats on the new cooker! Post pics and a review once she's seen some action.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

All put together and ready to roll...smoke!
            Attached Files

Comment

• Soonerpop
              Soonerpop commented
              Editing a comment
              So how’s it going after a month?

Soonerpop

Sorry for being gone from the forums for a bit. Life has been a little crazy between job, daughters' competition dance, and school. For some reason, I thought it a good idea for this old man to go get a graduate degree.

But I digress!

In short, the Kong has been awesome! I have mostly done shorter cooks but temperature management is a breeze with this thing! I have cooked a pork loin, some armadillo eggs, a pork butt, and several rounds of burgers, brats, and dogs in the past month. No issues, whatsoever.

I did have a Vision kamado prior to owning this, so I probably have the technique down for building up temp slowly in kamados. However, I have found I prefer the adjustable intake on the Kamado to the Vision Pro Series. It is simpler and has fewer possibilities for air leakage. Additionally, this thing is pretty air-tight when I shut all of the vents after a cook. My lump lasts several cooks. I do still have some tinkering to do to get the smoke flavor profile where I want it, but that's just part of the fun.

All in all, this has been an excellent buy. I'm looking forward to having a little more time in the near future to get more smoking in on this thing!

Comment

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              Learning new cookers is a lot of fun. Sometimes frustrating but in the long run fun. Glad you are enjoying it.
              Now get busy!!

• dtresca
              dtresca commented
              Editing a comment
              I plan on it! Double smoked ham for Easter will probably be next.

• Soonerpop
              Soonerpop commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s great! My son and I went to their store here in Dallas and ogled and fondled the merchandise. My son has always wanted a Komodo, but really liked the silverbac, so he’s torn. I loved the Grilla. MCS.

Kong is on sale at $729.99 at www.grillagrills.com as of 5/13/22

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here