Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broil King Keg - Amazing Burn Time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broil King Keg - Amazing Burn Time!

On August 11th (3 days ago now) I fired up some lump in my Keg to grill some veggies. Apparently when I was done, I remembered to close the bottom vent but neglected to close the top vent. Today (August 14th) I'm doing 2 subprimal beef tenderloins for my neighbour who holds an annual fishing day for his Lions Club members. I was planning on using the Keg to sear the beef when they are ready to eat and I was amazed to see that the Keg was still burning away, in fact it was reading 300 degrees! Wasted a bit of lump, but wow, that's amazing!

Wow!

Comment

Opened up the bottom vent, stirred up the remaining lump a bit, and this is the result. Click image for larger version

Name:	amazingkeg.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	730044

Comment

Yes, without food they can burn a long time. A while back I was testing some new charcoal on my BGE, and if my memory serves me correctly it went 72 plus hours at 225. I went to bed at the 72 hour mark and it was completely burned in the morning.

Comment

That will work great the next time you cook an elephant brisket.

Comment

• Razor
            Razor commented
            Editing a comment
            Or the whole elephant.

Comment

That's very impressive, indeed.

Comment

That is impressive, I open both dampers and let her rage after cooks so I don't know if mine would hold heat like yours did.
              The Kegs getting old now, gotta give her some TLC this weekend, with the wife of to Malta for two weeks she's going to get a workout....Chuckie Sat, Tri tip Sun....or vice versa or the other way around.
              Plus get rid of this Maple Leaf charcoal I decided to try, maybe get an 6-8 hour cook out of this stuff, Royal Oak can give me a good 8-10 hours more if all the stars align.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                LA Pork Butt commented
                Editing a comment
                Royal Oak @225 with a Butt on my BGE will give me 14 hours plus. I once did 40# of Butt for 22 hours before the charcoal was fully consumed.

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                I've got to replace a couple of missing rivets on bottom damper, probably getting a lot of air bleed thru there. Tighten nut hardware on lid, check seal and good general cleaning.
                Same as car needs a tune up.

Me Like Broil King.

Comment

Oh man...I'm in the market for a Kamado style cooker. This has just been added to my list.

Comment

Well, all but one rivet is left on my bottom damper now.
                  Did get some self taping screws to re-attach the damper but the silicon seal is shot now
                  Sadly the uncovered rivet holes have started to rust/rot and the tapers have no metal to grab.
                  Smoking is on a two week hiatus while I figure out what to do next.
                  Most likely high temp silicon or RTV then drill out rotten metal and go with bolts and washers to re up the damper.
                  ....or a new Keg could be on the horizon....

Comment

• tenphases
                    tenphases commented
                    Editing a comment
                    new keg thread woo hoo!!

• Argoboy
                    Argoboy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good luck. Let us know how it turns out?

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here