Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still Loving my Broil King Keg!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still Loving my Broil King Keg!

I've had the Broil King Keg 2000 for a few years now and have always loved it. I can do both low and slow, and with the right lump, get it up to a screaming 900+ degrees. Not to mention how efficient it is. Sadly, it has been relegated to a lower tier in my arsenal recently.
    I opened it up yesterday and noticed that it was only about 3/4 full with old, burned lump left over from last season so I decided to show it some love and burn off all of the old lump, give it a good cleaning, and recharge it with new lump.
    I lit it last night at around 5:30 PM, opened both vents full, closed the lid and let it go. Checked on it around 9:00 AM this morning, and it was still running around 300 degrees.
    I need to start using this more.

Ha, I am in the same boat. I don't think I have run mine since I got my Egg over a year ago. I was having some rust issues on the bottom of the body as well as around the dampers. So going low and slow was really not an option. If I wanted to keep the temps low, it would be tough because of the leaks.

I did learn a lot from having my BKK, and I still have it but it never gets used. I might have to give it a run one of these days.

Comment

I'm not a kamado guy but I hear ya on some of my older cookers. They sit there with that hurt puppy look on their little faces. Last weekend I did a major clean up of some of my older ones as well as my gasser. Gasser is a Weber Summit with a great grase collector system which I line with foil, so pulled out the old and in with brand new. Got out my pressure washer and went to town on parts and grates. Man that makes you feel good. Then fired up my oldest cooker, an 18" WSM. Has a fan port so did a controlled cook with the Fireboard and it came out like it was brand a spankin' new.

MCS has its downside, with me anyway. I find myself using the cooker that's the cleanest and easiest. Having too many and a little procrastination causes all kinds of issues with maintenance down the line. Almost makes me want to go back to two or three and leave it at that !!!

Comment

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, us procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow!

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Or maybe next month, maybe. 🕶

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. The best cooker to use is the one that is currently clean.

I had a bubba keg or two and loved them. The most insulated fuel efficient cooker I’ve ever used!

Comment

Yeah mines been neglected for the pas two weeks, hoping to change that this weekend
        Attached Files

Comment

Reports of rusting abound, but given the design and insulation, seems like they could redesign this with some stainless parts and make an even better cooker that would compete more. I guess that would price them out of their window?

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I have thought about that too. I kept mine covered most of the time. Regardless, Minnesota can be hard on everything. I also used it probably 4X as much as the "average" person. (Like most of us do with our cookers.)

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Mine is covered all the time, spends all four seasons outdoors.
            I do try to keep the fire bowl and bottom ash catcher as clean as possible especially in winter. Small things but help in the long run.

I paid $400 for mine when it first went to Big Steel Keg. I loved it, the portability and all the extras that came with it right out of the box were what sold me. But, I never could get the low and slow dialed in (lucky to hit 300F), so after about 4 years of neglecting it and having googly eyes over the Weber Summit charcoal I sold it to a guy for about the same amount of $$. It went to a good home.....at least I like to think of it that way. Part of me kinda misses it.....

Comment

I don't have a keg, but was pressure washing at the end of the house and had to move 3 sad lonely grills and smokers off the concrete into the yard, to do the job. I'm probably gonna uncover all all 3 of them tomorrow and hit them with the pressure washer and try to arrange them into some sort of usable pattern and give them some love...

Comment

Just this morning I took the Simple Green and a sponge to the BGE and Kettle, along with the tables. Felt good. Nice thing about cleaning outside? The hose.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here