Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Finished putting together my Brand-New Broil King Keg 5000. I'm really excited, and I've got questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Finished putting together my Brand-New Broil King Keg 5000. I'm really excited, and I've got questions.

First, here's a photo (because why not.)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	54887828119__3D20678F-0C7C-4A5D-935D-D978EA56E5E3.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	504466
    Now, both questions come from the kamado info page on the main site. Link -->

The kamado, ceramic, egg grill, smoker, and oven is a fast growing category with more and more choices every year. Here are reviews and ratings of them all.

There's a paragraph that reads, "Because they are so efficient, you don't need a lot of coals, and in order to keep the heat down, you often have to restrict airflow. That allows the coals to smolder and belch white smoke. It is pretty well established that the best smoke is blue and that comes from small hot fires, hard to achieve on kamados. Perhaps that is why they are rarely among the money winners in competition."

I know how clever the folks are on this forum, so does anyone have any hints to share about overcoming the difficulty of keeping the smoke blue on long cooks? My next question is about a photo on the same article.-->
    Click image for larger version

Name:	primo-oval-2-zone[1].jpg
Views:	654
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	504467
    WHAT are those mushroom things?! I want to make them!

Finally, (for now) I'm considering getting a grill grate, and I want to make sure that either they're {A.} ok to put right on top of the factory cast iron or, {B.} can work with the tri-lobe support system of the BKK5000.
    Thanks for any help or advice in advance, and look forward to cook photos in the near future!

Well, I don't know, when I'm cooking low and slow on my kettle I restrict airflow, and when I've used my new Kamado I restrict airflow. My guess is you shouldn't worry about it too much. Just work on dialing in your temp control, and you'll produce some tasty stuff.

I've done a lot of different stuffed mushrooms. You could get creative or do a google search for ideas.

Comment

Here's the answer to your question about good smoke: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-got-em-part-2

There's also a good book that will surprise you with the number of ways you can use a kamado: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Welcome!

Comment

What they said! Great looking bit of kit, be sure and report back!

Comment

Have fun!

Comment

I wait until it clears out and smole is barely visible

Comment

Go with a small Dutch oven for smoking you will love it. The tubes do not work as well on low cooks due to the lack of air flow.
            ​​​​​

Comment

I have had a Keg 5000 for a few years now. Best piece of advice I can give is read ceramic chefs stickies at the top of the kamado forum. It will save you years of learning.

Second piece of advice is check how your Ash container fits against the bbq bbq it's all the way in and latched. Mine wasn't seating properly and I ended up putting stainless steel washers on the bottom of the bbq to rest the ash drawer on to get it lined up. That slight leak made it impossible to maintain 225F. Once I got that figured out, I ran ceramic chefs calibration run to figure out my settings. I rarely go above #2 on the bottom vent for any temperatures.

For 225F, I fill the bowl with lump, open bottom and top vents full. I then light 1 Weber wax starter cube and leave the lid open until the cube is fully gone. Once it's gone I close the lid and let it run until it hits 175F. I then set top and bottom vents to #1 and let it run at 225F for up to 30 hours.

Depending on what I feel like, I either use ceramic chefs smoke pot for a light pellet grill flavour smoke or use wood chunks for a full flavour smoke with bite.

Happy grilling!

Comment

• hummelj
                hummelj commented
                Editing a comment
                Perfect, Man. This is a great reply. gonna check out the kamado forum now.

• Birchy
                Birchy commented
                Editing a comment
                dajoker Where would I find the Ceramic Chef's advice that you refer to?
                and thanks for the tip about the ash drawer. I am presently smoking a brisket and having a terrible time holding the temp at 225.
                Last edited by Birchy; January 28, 2021, 01:43 PM.

You’re going to love that beautiful cooker!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here