Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broil King Keg Gasket Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broil King Keg Gasket Replacement

I replaced the gasket on my Broil King Keg tonight. This is the third gasket I have had to replace in 5 years. After the steel gasket gave out I decided to go the way of BGE and KJ (up too 2016) and use a kevlar/felt gasket. These are really easy to apply. Especially now that many gaskets are self adhering.
    These gaskets are new to me, but this one seems to be more robust than other gaskets I have added to my BKK. After I put it down on the BKK, the seal felt really solid. I am looking forward to putting this to work tomorrow night. (after a 24-hour cure)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	BKK:Gasket Replacement:Lid Open 2.JPG
Views:	2343
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	327560Click image for larger version

Name:	BKK:Gasket Close Up.JPG
Views:	1825
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	327561Click image for larger version

Name:	BKK:Gasket Close up side.JPG
Views:	1811
Size:	372.0 KB
ID:	327559

Looks like you got a tight seal. Good job.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. The smoke test is coming this afternoon!

That looks good to me.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ron! I will update when the smoke starts rolling.

I will have to remember this , my gasket on my keg is starting to look ratty . Let us know how it worked .

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      My stock gasket didn't last long. This is the second felt gasket I have added. I have been much happier with theres than the stock gasket form Broil King.

Ok, I approved .

Comment

Been through 4 gaskets on the BGE: 2 felt, 1 special wood oven type (kevlar? don't remember), 1 some kind of gasket material molded onto it and pressed. None have survived my abuse (stuff like Neapolitan style pizza). I've been running gasketless about 5 years now and no loss. Just been a matter of adjusting the lid to sit firmly on the tub.

Yeah, it runs a little hotter in the back, but it's ok.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        No gaskets? Really? Wow, dude that takes skill.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe luck. I just be careful about checking how the two fit annually (or so) and adjust if needed. I dunno', the BGE seems pretty forgiving. Still holds the temps around +/- 5, which is plenty precise for me.

Let me know if/when you are in the market for a 4th. I bought a high heat one off a guy on the Primo forum. Seems indestructible...at least so far.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice. Hopefully this one lasts a little longer. But if not, I will let you know!

That reminds me John. I need to replace mine in the BGE one of these days. I have had one of the high heat gaskets on hand for awhile.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Do it up Skip! They are easy to replace. Or you could do like EdF and run naked! (No gaskets on his BGE)

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I was thinking about this a bit, and I'm guessing my "luck" is just the BGE itself and the stability it has because of its thermal mass.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Around here we call "luck" skill! EdF

Hi,
      my understanding of your post is that the BGE gasket can replace and fit on the BKK. If ist’s true it’s a very good news. I also realised by looking at your photos that you use a different diffuser in your BKK. can you tell me which brand it is?

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome to The Pit.

krokokrokan
      Welcome to the Pit! Thanks for joining up! I like to use the Lava Lock gaskets. They are self-adhering so you don't need to buy silicone and they don't make a mess. They work much better than the steel gaskets that you get stock on the BKK.

I use the diffuser from a large BGE. It works much much better than what BK gives you. (I think that set BK sells is a joke, personally.) Check CL in your area, you can usually find them fro pretty cheap. You can also buy this model too, if you just want to buy new. Or you can go to your local BGE dealer and buy one of theirs. They do make a big difference in the BKK.
      Last edited by Spinaker; July 16, 2018, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Of the several gaskets I tried, this one was pretty good. https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Gask...rutland+gasket

Another one was formed using some kind of epoxy and plastic wrap, and that worked even better.

This: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/gasketsafety/permatex.htm

Best gasket I've used. But I've been running gasket-less since 2012. ;-)
        Last edited by EdF; July 16, 2018, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here