Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dome temp vs Grid temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dome temp vs Grid temp

Most recipes don't indicate which their cook temperatue refers to, whether a dome location or grid location. I think i saw one post that said if it wasn't specified it was Dome. I have replaced my dome thermometer in my egg with a Fireboard probe so am fairly confident in getting accurate readings from it. I also place a grid probe when there is enough room for it. The grid probe usually indicates a temp ~ 30° cooler than the dome probe. I prefer to regulate my Cook based on the dome probe because I feel it is more consistent. The grid probe is very dependent on its location with respect to the food and the PS. Just wondering which location is preferred and which is the general rule for recipes?

If you wait long enough, they should equal out.

The dome thermometer in a BGE is actually pretty accurate. And if yours isn't, it is easy to calibrate using the nut on the back. (I did see where you use the probe now).

My experience is that at about 2 hours into a long cook, the dome temp and the grate temp will be about the same. This has been over many years.

If yours don't, then I'd pay attention to the grate temp, that's where the food is. But I've run cooks using just the dome thermo for information, and they've been fine. But again, mine always even out.

Comment

• RolfTaylor
      RolfTaylor commented
      Editing a comment
      This is my experience as well. They equalize over a period of hours.

Learning how a cooker cooks, helps. does it run hot--cook at a lower "temp".
    Run temp test on a cooker. Google "how to temp test [ your cooker here ]"
    Now I know what temp to set my pellet grill, for close to desired temp. I also recorded a chart.
    But what would you expect from someone who prefers PBR.

Comment

On my Vision grill my FireBoard confirmed what Mosca wrote. My top grill was about 30 degrees hotter than my lower for less than an hour. The. They equaled out and were within 5 degrees of the dome thermo.

Comment

Interesting. I don't own or cook on a kamado so I don't know if their closed environment produces equilibrium in temperature or not, but I can tell you all of my cookers do not achieve that. The problem with my kettles is that I have my SNS located just below the dome themos rendering them pretty much useless. I always count on a grate level thermo in them.

On my large pellet and other large units there are degrees of temperature variation, sometimes as much as 20*, between upper and lower racks. A simple toast test will tell you that visually. Big cabinets, because heat rises and wells at the top also have layers of temperature gradients from top to bottom.

Having said all that, I would advise trusting your grate temps. Also, very good point about knowing your cooker. If for instance you have determined that your dome temperature reads 15* more than the grate let's say, at a consistent level, then use that knowledge and shoot for that same dome temperature for you desired cook. Once again, know your cooker and it's strengths and weaknesses but also rely on internal temps, feel and visual triggers of the item you are cooking.

Comment

Here, not speaking for other recipes/websites, but here the cook temp will always always always refer to the grate temp, what the meat is feeling where it sits.

If you happen to use a cooker in which the dial thermometer and the cooking grate are relatively equal- so much the better! But we typically will caution you to never use the cooker's lid thermometer and always trust a digital leave-in probe about 2-3 inches from the meat on the grate.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here