Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use a griddle on their BGE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use a griddle on their BGE?

My buddy got a propane blackstone griddle and I'm jealous. I thought about getting one but I'm now wondering if I should just get a griddle for the BGE. Not sure whether to go with a circular one or a rectangular camping one that is 20x10. Anyone do any griddling on their egg? Is griddling even a word?

While it is not an egg, I have the half moon CI for my Primo XL. I really like cooking on it, especially smash burgers and steaks. The only draw back I can think is it’s a bit tough to keep heat down since I usually cook on the griddle with lid open. It helps to use less coals.

Good luck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8CB089E0-0312-47FB-B25B-E9AD0B33D914.jpeg
Views:	220
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	882103Click image for larger version

Name:	60C63731-D1CD-4617-ABA1-8B5B6476AE73.jpeg
Views:	220
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	882104
    Last edited by au4stree; July 17, 2020, 03:29 PM.

Comment

I use a Lodge 14 inch cast iron circular one on my KJ. It makes great smash burgers, makes good fajitas, and gets its most use blackening ribeyes. It's not going to give you the room to cook for a crowd, but for a small group it's fine.

Comment

I have a round Little Griddle for my large BGE, and I'm not sure I'd buy it again. The biggest issue is temperature control. For instance, doing smashburgers I have to time things just right. I let it heat to about 250-300 with the lid closed, then throw the buns on to toast them. By the time the buns are toasted the griddle is getting up to 400 or so. I need to get the burgers on soon thereafter, before the griddle gets so hot that the oil scorches and the burgers don't cook in the middle.

I've tried blocking some of the airflow, and using ceramic heat deflectors at various levels under the griddle but none of that works very well. Like au4stree said, the best thing to do is use less fuel, but that's a very inexact science. For lower-temp cooks I've started using the Little Griddle on my gasser. I still use it on the BGE for higher-temp searing and cooking.

Comment

Gridding is a verb. A gerund or present participle of griddle. Answer to yer second question, since yer 1st was answered.

Comment

Here is what I like to use on my BGE. It is the Lodge Pizza pan. It is thick and it work very well. There is also a slight lip on the edge so it helps to contain grease.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	P14P3_L.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	882216

Comment

• Oak Smoke
              Oak Smoke commented
              Editing a comment
              That's exactly what I use.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here