Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new tool for searing Steaks on my large Big Green Egg...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new tool for searing Steaks on my large Big Green Egg...

You can drop it down to sear Steaks within 1" of the red hot lump. You can stand it up on your regular grate to add additional cooking space. You can use it to elevate your pizza stone up higher in the dome. It's heavy duty stainless steel and it's $38 on Amazon.

Very Nice!

Comment

Neat, not the accessory, all dem words by you in your post and no mention of bread.

If I had a BGE I would have you on speed dial.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Most on AR know I'm a Breadhead... As much as I am a BBQ fan. They are equal addictions. That pizza stone is used to bake a lot more bread than pizza.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe that on the pizza stone. I may get around to it one day.

Brilliant!

Comment

Thank you Meathead. I was shopping for my Maverick ET 735 on Amazon a couple of weeks ago and this direct and indirect 3 legged grate showed up as one of those items they say people that buy this also buy this. I clicked on it to read more. I knew by looking at it that it was made to fit into a large BGE.

I used it last night to reverse sear a 1 3/4 inch bone in, Choice grade Ribeye. It was mounted down low and I had the regular grate sitting on the fire ring, no plate setter needed. I used the DigiQ Dx2 to get the temp to 225 and then put the meat on. I put a meat thermometer probe from the DigiQ in the meat and then added another one from the Maverick 735 at the same location in the meat. Then of course I had my Thermapen to double check both of them, just to see if they were all reading the same meat temp. All three instruments were within 1°.

Based on last nights reverse sear cook and today's bread cook my old GX Grill extender is going to the trash heap! This little jewel does the same things I bought the GX for but it is much more heavy duty and easier to use.

I... Refer to this as MY 2-zone BGE cooking technique. It's not left or right like one would do in a kettle, direct or indirect. This is the Up and Down Direct and Indirect technique. At 225, no plate setter, lid down... There is no flame in your firebox, just red hot lump. The DigiQ keeps it that way. Then per your instruction when the steak got to 95° I opened the dome and used my meat hook to flip it over. When it reached 115 degrees I took it off of the grate, opened the dome and opened the bottom vent wide open. While I was waiting for the lump to get to Warp 10, I dismantled and cleaned my probes and put them away. Then I blotted the steak with a paper towel and applied some bacon fat I had in the refrigerator from last weeks Boston beans cook. I put it on this jewel of a grate literally 1" from the red hot lump and closed the lid. If you leave the lid open you will have flames a foot high. I watch what's happening through the top vent. I gave the steak about 2 minutes per side and checked it with my thermapen. I pulled it at 130°. All went as expected.

I will have a cook off with you... A Prime grade 2" thick, bone-in Ribeye. Me and the BGE, you and your Kettle! You go left and right... I'll go up and down! So... If either of us have that little layer of light brown meat between the crust and the pink interior of the meat, they lose!

Based on your experience with the Kettle and my experience with the BGE... I say it will be a draw.

Then if you want we can bake a loaf of bread on them too. 😎

Comment

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          So basically you're saying you can get the same result on a $220kettle plus accessories as you get from a $1,000 BGE plus accessories

That looks like a cool item, I'm sure I could find a use for it. There's a workaround for every tool in the bbq shed. I've done reverse sear on my BGE using the same technique, using a cast iron grate at the regular height, but not 2" ribeyes, just 1" strips and filets.

The GX Grill Extender is cheap junk, IMO.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here