Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

# of hours a Large BGE can burn at 275 degrees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

# of hours a Large BGE can burn at 275 degrees?

Hello all, I am very new to this smoking process. I inadvertently purchased a 16 pound boneless pork shoulder. I would like to cook it in the Large BGE. I have Meathead's book as well as several others but I cannot find a specific time/recipe for what I purchased. If I fill the BGE to its recommended top, how long will it burn at 275? I believe I need 18 hours or so. Is that correct? Any helpful hints? Thank you in advance. Linda

I cook on a large BGE. Take note of the thickness of the meat, cause it is the thickness of the meat that determines cook time. I typically cook 10 pound Boston Buts which are about 5” thick. They usually cook in 12 hours at 225 without wrapping, but sometimes they go for 14 hours. I once cooked 40 pounds using a second level grate which was like cooking meat 10” thick. It took 22 hours on one load of charcoal. Unless he meat is really thick I wouldn’t expect it to take 18 hours.

Comment

+1 for LA Pork Butts advice!! I don’t cook on a BGE but a couple options would be to either cook it hotter...325F, which is where my PBC likes to run or you could cut it in half which would help with the cook time and give you more awesome bark!!!

Comment

A LBGE can burn for 18 hours and more at 275. The variable is ambient temperature. If it’s 95* during the day and 78* at night it will go 24+. If it’s 20* and 8*, you might get 18.

But may I suggest cutting your roast in half, and freezing half for another day, be it before cooking or after pulling? (Or cutting it in half and eating it all, which is also fine.)

Comment

16lb boneless shoulder? That sounds like a Costco purchase. If it is this is usually two 8lbers in one bag. Either way I cut in half as stated above to get more bark. woof, woof! Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

16 lbs is a lot of pork. Why don’t you cut it in half. Smoke one and freeze one. 8 lbs is much more manageable.

Comment

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I will definitely cut in half and freeze half. Haven't unwrapped it yet so I didn't know it could be two 8-pounders put together. In any event, I will freeze half! It's more than 20 degrees F here and much less than 95, and now that it is eight pounds, I am good to go! Thank you again!!

Comment

The one I cooked last Saturday (that you commented on--just now saw it!) was indeed two eight-pounders in a single package. I cooked one and froze one. Cook lasted about 10 hours on my medium-size BGE (and probably should have gone longer, but we were hungry and the coals were dying). It was still plenty tender, had great bark, and was DELICIOUS! Been eating pulled pork several nights this week and will still have some to freeze. Followed Meathead's Awesome Simple Pulled Pork BBQ Recipe. Salted it the day before and let it dry brine overnight in the fridge.

Love that 'Memphis Dust' rub on shoulder, ribs, wings...anything that doesn't moooove!

As for time, it takes what it takes--every hunk of meat is different. The secret seems to be going low and slow (I shoot for 225-250) for as long as it takes to get that internal temp to 203 degrees...mine didn't quite make it, but I'm hoping to try to hit the magic 203 number with the second shoulder on a new pellet grill soon...

Good luck with your cook!
                Last edited by jnaab; May 7, 2020, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                  LA Pork Butt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I routinely pull mine at 200 and find that placing them wrapped in an ice chest for 2 hours before serving does the trick. If I don’t let the rest in the ice chest for at least an hour they just aren’t as good.

I really like "I inadvertently purchased a 16 pound boneless pork shoulder." I'm going to try that line on my wife. "Dave, will you come with me to shop for some shoes?" "Well honey I'd really love to do that, but you see I inadvertently purchased a 16 pound boneless pork shoulder so I have to stay here and smoke it so it doesn't go bad."

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here