Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Substitute for plate setter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Substitute for plate setter?

My 7 year old plate setter just busted in half. Looking for a replacement that ideally isn't $140. Any options? I do have a pizza stone I could use as a substitute but no way to suspend it over the fire while still using the grate for the food.

Go to Ceramicgrillstore.com for a number of alternatives.

Comment

Not sure if this would work, but its kind of a cool idea.

Buy the best plate setter for indirect cooking like searing or blackening. Made of cast iron and is virtually indestructible. Fits large and XL BGE.

Cast iron?

Comment

There are a number of cheap options here.

Comment

Great suggestions. Didn't know about the cast iron one. But darn it if the XL model isn't sold out everywhere.

Comment

+1 for the Ceramic Grill Store. I use a woo and a round stone for indirect cooks. You can use the woo to cook raised direct or you can put a smaller grid in the lower ring to get the food close to the coals. Very flexible setup.

Comment

Originally posted by BGWolf View Post
            +1 for the Ceramic Grill Store. I use a woo and a round stone for indirect cooks. You can use the woo to cook raised direct or you can put a smaller grid in the lower ring to get the food close to the coals. Very flexible setup.
            Ha....I have a CGS 3 leg spider and I never considered I could use it for indirect. I may not even need the woo ring but I really like the idea of the handles. CGS is awesome. I have their angl-l brackets and wok which I have made better stir fry than chinese joints. Might have to grab a smaller cast iron grate for the bottom of the spider as well.

Comment

Good advice above. In my medium I use a spider and a pizza stone. That gives me enough room I can get two layers.

Comment

Originally posted by BGWolf View Post
                Ditto on the woo and round pizza stone. This gets me low enough to get two racks on my medium egg, which is a great thing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here