Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Refurbished a Gift Egg - Advice wanted on first cook . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great looking rework job! You might check out nakedwhiz.com for all kinds of BGE recipes, tips, info, and advice. (Not an egger myself.)

Comment

Very late to the party, but congrats! the picanha looks great! Welcome to the BGE family!

Comment

Nicely done for sure! Don't have a BGE or other Kamado style cooker. Folks will be along to answer more specific questions I'm sure. Good luck!!!

Comment

Nice job. Your first cook looked great. You’ll love how versatile the thing is. You might want to look into the eggspander system at some point. It makes going from indirect to direct super easy as the plate setter just lifts right out. It also gives you the ability to easily add a second grid. Ceramic grill store makes something similar, think it’s called the Adjustable rig.

Comment

The ceramic grill store has all kinds of accessories for the Egg. My two favorites are the kick ash basket and the Woo ring. The KAB holds the charcoal and you can pull it out with all the unburned pieces of lump and clean out the ash. The Woo Ring will give you two levels of cooking but the best part is you can put the plate setter on the lower ring and grill grate on top ring and remove it all as one piece to add coals or wood chunks.

Comment

Great work, that thing looks brand new!

Comment

RamaJama and Old Glory - Thanks for the suggestions. I already picked up the kick ash basket, actually a knock off that has a center partition. Cleaning out and separating "keeper" coals and ash/dust was a PITA. Not familiar with the eggspander or the woo ring, but I'll check them out. Next purchase is going to be a pizza stone though.

Comment

Before you go crazy and unless you plan on using a computer controlled fan for every cook. Take the time to learn to control temp. Its not at all hard but its not at least in the early throngs, set it and forget it. There are many little nuances especially to low and slow kamado cooking. How many places to light, how much fuel you really want to use, was your gasket installed correctly and its all still air tight to name a few.

Toss in a bunch of fuel and see if you can holder steady at 225. First few times easier said then done. A few minutes of overshoot and the clay heats up and its a bitch to get down. When you miss some lower temps dont fret and try to settle in with any temp and see how minor changes to the top and bottom vents effects things. Timing is a learning process but not immediate by any means so you have to get a feel for it. You can control temp at either end just takes practice. Once you get a handle on dealing with temp and its swings youll be set on doing a longer cook.

Few key points that come to mind:

1)most importantly learn to burp at lower temps. If you dont you run the risk of having a fireball in the face, happens to more folks than you know
                2)if your running a wide open top vent and clamp it down to control temps, you will get a good spike before it settles in and drops
                3)if its still as air tight as it should be, you can load up the firebox use and shut it down when done and you will not waste much.
                4)I use the deflector plate some but more times than not for ease of searing i simply pile charcoal on only 1 side to create 2 zone cooking without the plate in place. For super long cooks this isnt feasible but upto 5 or 6 hours easily doable.
                5)once you are comfortable with temp control, youll have the time of your life playing and be sure to enjoy a pizza or two they are the best coming off a kamado.

Comment

I would probably do something low and slow like pork butt or brisket.

Comment

This is a great users guide for Kamado Cookers - "The Kamado Book of Knowledge"

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here