Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BGE Bottom Vent Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BGE Bottom Vent Screen

I need to replace the bottom vent screen on my Large BGE. Does anyone have the SS Punched Hole Style? Do they work well or should I stay with the Original Screen Style? I'm wondering about air restriction with the SS Punched Hole Style. Thoughts?

I cain’t suggest anything being that I never use mine. Others will chime in to help you out. And maybe tell me I should be using mine. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Comment

I have a KJ and mine doesn’t have a screen, so not sure why BGE would need one. Like you said, it restricts airflow. Go without one and see how it works! Probably won’t be much different.

Comment

Skip, I run mine without the screen closed. I simply open it with the main slide. I have never really seen a need for it. I have not roasted up any curious critters during a cook yet!

Comment

Sure, it restricts air flow, but all that means in this situation is that it gives finer control over the lowest opening available. If "vent fully open/screen fully closed" is about half "vent fully open/screen fully open" then the same holds true with vent 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc. At the top end, I can get over 600 with the screen closed and the vent fully open, with a full load of lump.

I use the screen because my BGE is in a wooden table on a composite deck. And yes, I have had burn marks on my wooden table from when I didn’t use it.

To answer your question, I think you would be fine going with the punched hole style. There probably isn’t much difference.
          Last edited by Mosca; October 21, 2019, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Same here, if I don't use it sparks keep flying out.

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            The same here and it will never wear out.

I have a SS one and find a use for it. Have learned over time several hole combo's that make consistent temps with no real fuss. i.e. Light fire let catch, set hole plate to 1.5 row of holes open and walk away. In about 45 minutes im right where i want to be. That being said, if something happened to it and i could no longer use it unless i replaced it. I wouldnt spend the money on doing so as others have said, the unit will function perfectly fine without it.

Comment

I don't have one on my Primo, haven't had sparks/embers come out yet. But see why one is there, it can happen....

Comment

• Cheef
              Cheef commented
              Editing a comment
              I guess I'm lucky also. 20 years no screen never had sparks coe out.

Comment

Thanks for your comments everyone. I will try the SS version.

Comment

Hi Skip, any noticeable drawbacks to going with the punched stainless steel vented door? At worst, maybe new draft door positions...

I need to replace mine at some point as I've closed the screen door a little to far up on the fan adapter for the DigiQ fan door!

Comment

The SS punched hole door works fine. There might be a slight air restriction but not enough to bother any temperatures. IMO a nice upgrade.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here