Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New BGE mini max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New BGE mini max

I always said I would never spend the money on a Big Green Egg, I've had Weber kettles for 45 years and a Smokey Mountain for about 12 years, but I was lucky enough to win a mini max at a fishing rodeo last weekend and I'm wanting to do a small standing rib roast on the mini max, any advice would be appreciated

Can't help, but congrats.

Comment

Nice win! It’s going to be similar to a kettle, only with better heat retention. But overshooting temperature requires a much longer cool down time.

I don’t know if it uses lump or briquettes, but use what the instructions recommends. Hopefully it contains the heat deflector, but if not it’s still a good score.

Enjoy it!

Comment

• chrisjen
        chrisjen commented
        Editing a comment
        it says you have to use chunk or it voids the warranty and I do have a heat deflector and drip pan, I'm going to try it just like I cook indirect on my Weber kettle

• SmokeyGator
        SmokeyGator commented
        Editing a comment
        chrisjen good strategy. I have a Primo XL but a kamado is a kamado. Mostly. I LOVE using mine for higher temp cooks. Skirt steak is amazing. You can get the coals glowing hot then prevent flare up by reducing airflow. Enough to keep the heat, not enough for flames. Be careful opening it it WILL flash over. But it’s like a PBC in that mode, only hotter.

I have a MiniMax and a Large. I have never cooked that cut of meat, but my suggestion is to learn on a more forgiving piece of meat. Maybe a small Boston Butt. You’ll need a heat defuser and yes it does use lump.

Comment

Nice win. I like my Large BGE. Just do what's already been said and have fun with your New Cooker.

Comment

I have a regular mini and it's fantastic, I bought it before the mini max came out I would get the mini max over the mini now.

It is a fantastic little reverse searing machine - you just have to be willing to reconfigure (open bottom vent all the way put on the heat resistant gloves and remove whatever you are using as a heat deflector) when it's time to sear, but on the smaller eggs this only takes a few seconds and it goes from 225 to searing temps quickly. For 1-2 people the mini is great, I imagine the mini max would be enough for most dinners for a family of 3-4.

Comment

• chrisjen
            chrisjen commented
            Editing a comment
            did a rack of baby backs for my 1st cook I cut the rack in half and the 2 half's filled the grill but they came out awesome and was more than enough for my wife and I

You may want to consider getting a Mini Max Woo Ring and 10" ceramic stone from ceramicgrillstore.com. Indirect heat the easy way. It opens up lots of options.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here