Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How big of a bird will fit a Large BGE (spatchcock)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How big of a bird will fit a Large BGE (spatchcock)?

I think I ask this every year. I am taking better notes this year but they will not help anyways because I am away from home and calling my order in to a new butcher.

How big can I go to get a bird (spatchcocked) on my Large BGE? I can cook it on the original grate OR on the Adjustable Rig.

Thanks!

Gobble, gobble

Timmy

I've done up to 22 lbs, but watch out for that dome thermometer. That was intact, rather than spatchcocked. Can't really say about the latter.

This may give you some ideas: https://www.evernote.com/l/AKIPIWtH6...z_iRGPCCLGcIps

Comment

• TimmyR
      TimmyR commented
      Editing a comment
      Great notes. I am a Naked Whiz fan and do use Evernote (great idea). Thanks!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, the Naked Whiz and the Meathead approaches are both pretty comprehensive!

I don't have any notes on a spatchcocked turkey from when I had a large BGE, but I'm thinking maybe 16-18 pounds if it's a "chunky" turkey; a few pounds less if it's "lanky". I could be wrong, so maybe someone will chime in soon.

Comment

I have never done one, but I think you will be in the ballpark if you sit the turkey on it's back and the measurement to the peak of the breast is 8" or less. The length of the turkey would need to be 16" or less.

Comment

I wonder how big of a turkey it would take to lay a large Big Green Egg?

Comment

• TimmyR
          TimmyR commented
          Editing a comment
          RIGHT! Then I'd have to figure out which came first?

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, the green or the turkey TimmyR.

• Beefchop
          Beefchop commented
          Editing a comment
          You all went exactly where I thought you would...lol

Don't forget to do a dry or cold run first to make sure everything fits before you fire up that Large. I have made that mistake before TimmyR and like EdF mentioned, watch out for the dome thermometer.

Comment

• TimmyR
          TimmyR commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks allsid I am now thinking I'll cook it traditional style on the Egg. Still should not be a problem since I can drop the Spider in and use my AR to put the bird lower. Now planning 18#. I will definitely dry-run it when I pick up the bird the day prior.

I can't answer the LBGE turkey question, but I can state with certainty (just did this cook) that an XLBGE will do four pork butts.
        Last edited by Willy; November 9, 2017, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          No pix? No report? Love to see that

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, Troutman, no pix. Just a routine butt cook with MMD. I can; however, say that the BGE hot spots are apparent when you do four of 'em and the spots are exactly where you'd expect--right in the "gaps" between the plate setter legs.

30 pounds of pork shoulder on a large BGE Click image for larger version

Name:	20170526_133110.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	408567

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Let's Go!!!!!!

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          I did 40# on my large Big Green Egg one time that cooked for 22 hours on one load of lump,charcoal.

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          That's some beautiful pork!

Originally posted by Willy View Post
        I can't answer the LBGE turkey question, but I can state with certainty (just did this cook) that an XLBGE will do four pork butts.
        I can do 4 on my Large with my Adustable Rig no problem....

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          How much temp difference do you see from rig top to bottom?

• TimmyR
          TimmyR commented
          Editing a comment
          Willy It's not all that much but I honestly do not know exactly, I've never measured at more than one grate. I just manage a grate temp and the lid. Those do vary a lot in the beginning but converge as everything stabilizes. I usually will swap the shelves at mid-cook. Same with ribs and 3 shelves except I rotate them about 3 total times. Hopefully that helps.

OK...from spatchcock to butts....anyone confirm 18# of bird should fit no prob on Large BGE? I want to spatchcock it, but will cook it traditionally if needed. Planning to pickup a rib rack tomorrow to have on hand to use if needed.

Comment

• TimmyR
          TimmyR commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks @Edf,

I pick it up tomorrow...if it close to 20# I'll dry run the fit tomorrow night before I unwrap and dry brine it. Thanks!

• Hi, my name is Joe
          Hi, my name is Joe commented
          Editing a comment
          What's your plan for your bird and the rib rack?

• TimmyR
          TimmyR commented
          Editing a comment
          I decided not to spatchcock. 19# bird on the second shelf of my AR. Drip pan on stone on spider. Egg likes around 300 degrees with the full pan of drippings.

EdF What are the temps you run for such a large bird? I was handed a Pterodactyl from my MIL to handle the family turkey this year. It's a 21lb bird, I thought about running a 275-300 deg temp in my LBGE. What are your thoughts on those temps?

If I can, I'd like to spatchcock it, but I'll have to do some test fits and i'll do what's necessary.

Comment

I've found so far, running from an 8lb to 22lb bird that I don't really need to change the temps. Now with those huge birdies (25+) that may require some modification.

Anyway I've done a few 21lb birds like so: start the egg at 400, put in the bird, and immediately throttle down to 325. Takes some time, but it works out. I then keep it at 325 for the duration. https://www.evernote.com/l/AKIPIWtH6...z_iRGPCCLGcIps

Comment

• Hi, my name is Joe
            Editing a comment
            Thanks M8, I've read your notes and will be plagiarizing the crap out of them

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Enjoy! Will be interested hear how it comes out!

• Hi, my name is Joe
            Editing a comment
            I'll be happy to provide an AAR (after action report)

Has anyone spatchcocked a larger bird yet? I've got to make a game day decision and would prefer to learn from someone else mistake errr experience.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            Joe, what are you asking exactly? Have I done it Yes. Am I doing it tomorrow NO.

What cooker are you using?

• Hi, my name is Joe
            Editing a comment
            Hey Jon
            LBGE and a 22lb bird.

• TimmyR
            TimmyR commented
            Editing a comment
            That was my plan. I have the rib rack so I could drape it over that to help it fit if it was too tight. Please share pix of the 22# bird spatchccked on the egg!

2020 bump.....still curious how big of a bird, spatchcocked will fit...I know 12# fits....I'm shooting for 16# this year.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here