Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water Pans in the Big Green Egg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Pans in the Big Green Egg

Fellow Pit Masters,

I'd like to generate a discussion on water pans. After reading Meathead's "How to Use Drip Pans and Water Pans, What to Put in Them and How to Clean Them" article, I learned a lot in general about water pans. Thank you, Meathead! There are 8 reasons discussed in that article about how drip pans can help during the cook.

Regarding reasons 1 through 3: I use a medium Big Green Egg equipped with a Flame Boss 200. The Flame Boss has made controlling the pit temperature very easy. Therefore, I do not necessarily need the benefit of the water pan to assist in temperature regulation. The plate setter blocks the direct heat from the coals from scorching the food. Therefore, I do not necessarily need the water pan to assist in blocking the direct heat from the coals.

I do, however, like the idea of the water pan for reasons 5 through 8 discussed in Meathead's article. Those reasons generally relate to helping the smoke stick to the meat and improving flavor, as well as increasing the cook time due to evaporative cooling which give the fats and collagen more time to melt.

I suppose one theoretical downside to the water pan is that it takes some of energy supplied by the burning fuel, thereby decreasing the efficiency of the cooker. The benefits of the water pan may outweigh this downside, howerver.

I've only had the Big Green Egg for a few months and I have not had enough time to do some controlled experiments of cooking meat with and without a water pan keeping all other variables equal. I will update this topic once I collect the data.

Anyone with strong feelings one way or the other regarding water pans?

Thanks, and happy grilling!

wiltfore

We had a discussion about this a while ago. Maybe it's a good time to bring it up again? I for one don't use water pans .. only catch pans so I don't have grease all over the place Never use one unless I'm doing a turkey and gravy!

Comment

I've done both. I can't say I have noticed much difference one way or the other. I live in a very humid climate and have wondered if the water pan would be helpful in a dry climate. I'll be moving to Dallas this year, so I may find out.

Comment

Old thread here.........but I am always curious about this..........and I love digging up old discussions.

How many peeps are using water pans in their Kamados?

Me.....I never use them in my Kamados. I think with the lack of airflow in my BGEs, there really is no reason to add one. (I do run one in the KBQ) I find that a water pan makes the inside of the BGE a really steamy environment, which tends in inhibit bark formation on the surface of the meat. When I first started using kamados (Broil King Keg) I always used my water pan and I always had trouble with bark and much longer cooks. Once I took the water pan out, it all changed.

I know water pans can help with smoke adhesion and they may help the rig run a little smoother but I have never really had an issue with that stuff once you learn the cooker a little bit.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree, as I’ve noted here before, my kamado retains so much moisture that to get good bark I cook at higher temps.

I certainly have no plans to do this in my Akorn.

Comment

I have a Broil King Keg, we have a water diffuser but its hit or miss whether I use it or not.
          Ribs I usually use it, pulled pork no more than yes, roast beef I don`t use it at all.
          To be honest my taste buds don`t seem to be able to tell the difference when I use the diffuser or not.
          My nephew has a 7 year old BGE, his plate setter split in half on him on Fri while he was preparing to put on 4 racks of ribs, called Premier BBQ in Frisco.
          They told him to send in a pic of the split item and say it was purchased in the last three years and they would warranty it.
          Saved him $98....don`t care who you are a bucks a buck and that`s great customer service.

Comment

I don't use a water pan in either of my Kamado's. As Spinaker mentioned I also feel it would make it a steam bath. They are so efficient that going low and slow the vents are barley cracked open which will in turn help keep in the moisture.

I do however use the water pan part of my SnS in my kettles, except when cooking birds.

Also I always use the lower part of the cooking chamber in my LSG as a water pan. It's meant for that. And that sucker holds about 3 gallons of water. When it gets up to temp, pit and water, I can keep steady temps left to right all cook long.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve B View Post
              I don't use a water pan in either of my Kamado's. As Spinaker mentioned I also feel it would make it a steam bath. They are so efficient that going low and slow the vents are barley cracked open which will in turn help keep in the moisture.

I do however use the water pan part of my SnS in my kettles, except when cooking birds.

Also I always use the lower part of the cooking chamber in my LSG as a water pan. It's meant for that. And that sucker holds about 3 gallons of water. When it gets up to temp, pit and water, I can keep steady temps left to right all cook long.
              Yeah, with something that has a lot of airflow, like an offset or my KBQ. Then I will use one.

Comment

I have a Vision Classic B which I believe is similar in size the medium BGE. I have only used a pan in the kamado for 2 purposes, both mentioned above. One as a drip pan and two , if I am cooking something that I want the meat drippings & smoke to flavor such as a gravy, sauce, or braising liquid that will used later in the cook.

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, I always put a pan in to catch the drippings, but I do not add water to the pan. But that is more just to keep the BGE clean. I suppose if I was making a gravy or something like that, then I would need to add some water.

I don't use a water pan in kamado mode, but do use the water trough in my SNS on both the kettle and SNS Kamado. I don't use water pans on my offset and don't have any complaints.

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I never used the water pan in the SNS. I kinda found that to be a marketing thing honestly. It seems like people expect to see one so they put it in there. I always had better cooks when I did not add water.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Spinaker Maybe so. I do fill it at the start of low and slow cooks, but never replenish it once it boils dry around the 4-5 hour mark.

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah,I hear ya man. That is what I did the first few times I used it.....then I was like......maybe I do not really need it. LOL I do like the SNS, it works great for banking the coals and providing a solid searing station, just not sold on the water res portion of it.

I’ve used one in my WSCGC…being more or less a kamado I haven’t felt the need to try. I could see it turning into a giant steamer.

I had one for my WSM…it never actually ever had water in it. Basically it was a drip pan.

Comment

I will spritz the meat with apple cider vinegar and apple juice to add moisture rather than use a water pan in the BGE or the KBQ,

Comment

It is worth considering the basic principles that make komados unique, and why the have such a reputation for succulence.

An insulated cooker requires a smaller fire to achieve a given temperature. Smaller fire requires less oxygen. That means less air flow through the cooker. Less air flow means less water carried off through the chimney. Basic physics.

Of course the meats is "sweating" as it cooks. In a kamado that enough water for the smoke to stick.

Comment

Here is an interesting YT video from Smoking Dad BBQ regarding adding water pans or not
                      to Kamado type smokers
                      ceramic kamados .

Comment

• RolfTaylor
                        RolfTaylor commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well that's interesting!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here