Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used Akorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used Akorn

I have a friend who just picked up a Traeger, and is willing to give me his Akorn, I have not seen it, but, knowing this person the way I do. I expect it to be in fairly good condition. If someone offered you one, would you take it? I have never had a want for a Kamado, but, thought, maybe it would be fun to play around with. Thank you in advance.

I had a Kamado and got rid of it from lack of use. To be fair, I never really tried to get an understanding of it. I'm sure some others will join in and talk about it's greatness.
    Hope you're doing okay.

Comment

Hard to turn down a free cooker in decent condition.

Comment

It should be good at baking...

Comment

Id maybe help him sell it. I don't get the Kamado/Egg style grills either. Not my thing. I prefer stick burners and charcoal grills.

Comment

I would pass on it. They tend to leak, which can make for some frustrating kamado experiences. I have the same problem with my Steel Keg.

The Akon is a pretty cheap kamado, and probably more trouble than it is worth. IMHO.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              I kind of felt that way. I told him I would take it, and give it a run, but, Thinking it could be a good bread oven if nothing else. and if nothing else, I will sell it and give him the money.

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Have to agree with @Spinacker on the Keg being frustrating from time to time

I say go for it if it is in good condition. I have an Akorn myself. Yes, it is a lower end kamado, but it does make an excellent bread/pizza oven. I put a gasket on mine, and have no leakage problems, and temp control is pretty stable. I got mine because I wanted to get into kamados, but didn't want to spend a lot of money finding out whether I liked them or not. i use it to bake bread in the warmer months, so I don't heat up the house.

Comment

• Argoboy
              Argoboy commented
              Editing a comment
              I have one for the same reason it was on sale and I wanted to try a kamado style cooker. It works fine for me.

Your a bbq guy with a chance to learn about a new style cooker for free, get it! I have a Akorn at my summer place, I love it. In the winter I go to the "summer place" to go hunting, I love it because its a great winter/cold weather cooker. It actually run better than my broil king keg but it is not as well built, i figure I can get 5 years out of her

Comment

I still regret not buying the one I saw for $50 for my cabin.

Comment

Definitely. Not the best, but if you know what you're doing you can work it just fine. Can't beat the price! My BIL has one and loves it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here