Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ceramic Akorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ceramic Akorn

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Grille...ill/1000365009

Anyone own one of these?

M.

My brother in law does, he loves it. Can't help you myself though.

Comment

We reviewed this popular, economically priced kamado. By replacing the heavy ceramic used for thousands of years with modern lightweight materials, Char-Griller appears to have created a cooker that performs pretty close to traditional Kamados at a fraction of the cost earning our AmazingRibs.com Best Value Silver Medal Award.

Comment

The Acorn and the ceramic kamado are not the same.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          My bad.

Yeah this break from what we all have come to accept as the norm. Akorn=steelclad. Not anymore.
        I have "peeps" that want to try a ceramic Kamado but are gun-shy at the money outlay. This might do it for some of them.

This is new, so I imagine more opinions will come out if a presence starts to exist among us buyers.

M.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually it has been around for a while. I believe for at least 5 years.

Mark E. I went back up to the link an looked at the Kamado. It does look like the Acorn, but the price is twice that of an Acorn. I then went to theChar-Griller website and the cooker at Lowe’s isn’t listed.

Here is a thought for your friends. The metal Acorn with cost almost $300. In my area you can get an outfitted Big Green Egg on sale for $950. If they like the Acorn the life expectancy is limited. Replacing it or bumping up to a ceramic will be added on to their original purchase. If they bought a ceramic first and didn’t like it they could sell it and recoup 1/2 - 3/4 of their original investment.

Comment

I have the metal-clad Acorn. It has lasted just over 4 years so far but the bottom ash pan and lower body are starting to rust through. It won't be long before I have to replace it. Ceramic will last for ever with a few replacement parts now and then. My next Kamado will definitely be ceramic. I haven't seen this one yet...
          Last edited by kamadoRob; January 19, 2018, 10:54 AM. Reason: Correcting typo

Comment

When it comes to outdoor environments, as well as high heat conditions, you pays for what you gets and you gets what you pay for ...... that's all I have to say.

Comment

If you want a ceramic kamado in that price range, look for deals on Vision and Pit Boss.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	4A8CB6BA-54C8-41E2-A6B7-72BEC290A17D.jpeg
Views:	264
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	850461Click image for larger version

Name:	C16A86DB-E5CD-447F-A1FC-8BB7CD9D33BB.jpeg
Views:	264
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	850460​ ​​​​​​​About a month at my Akron egg was blown off the deck and damaged, I got it out of the shed today and repaired it, it still has a dent I the lid but that gives it some character I think. These eggs are inexpensive and made with soft steel that easily bends back into place, the paint is thin and they do rust even if you keep it covered. I am cooking with it as I write this. I plan to get a new one and I think it will be a Primo as they are made in the US.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Argoboy
                  Argoboy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I had a lot of trouble getting my pictures to load this time? I see I have one twice, sorry. It did not ask size either small, med or large?

• tenphases
                  tenphases commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Heads up Primo got bought out, production might not be US much longer

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here