Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Char-Griller Akorn - Stand-alone or Table?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Char-Griller Akorn - Stand-alone or Table?

The two models pictured below are roughly the same price right now, and I want a Kamado to be able to cook efficiently in low winter temperatures. I'm wondering what pros and cons of each the community can think of to help me pick one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	144
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	1311892Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	119
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	1311893

I can't tell from adverts if the egg itself is exactly the same, or if they both come with the warming tray. I'm heading to Lowes this afternoon to find out.

If the wings collapse it’s a no brainer. The Akorn is a good move for winter, a trusty little Kamado fer the cold. 🕶

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      I use my Weber Performer more than my Classic, but that's because my Performer has an SnS and my classic has the gourmet grate system with a Vortex.

I've owned both, Table for sure. Awesome cooker you'll love it.

Comment

I prefer mine with the fold down shelves for easier storage, 3 wheels for easier moving, and I am going to guess more cover options since it is pretty close to a Weber-like cover. I don’t use the under smoker storage as I have a rolling cart for that.

The pro for the table is likely more space to work with for food prep.

Comment

I would go with the table. I've never been a fan of wings on things like that.

Comment

Mine had fold down shelves and three wheels, when the wind blew it off the deck and the shelves got bent but I was able to bend them back. I found the fold down shelves worked well for my needs.

Comment

Also for an awesome low and slow with moisture I use BBQube Heat Deflector or the Chargriller Smokin' Stone. Again I have both one of the complaints I've read about the stone is they break. That has not been my experience, it's at least 8 years old now.and not cracked. I usually put a pan of water on it for moisture and to catch the drippings.​

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here