Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding Searing and 2-Zone Capabilities to Akorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Searing and 2-Zone Capabilities to Akorn

I expect this should be an effective approach.

1) For a single zone and searing solution, buy this Weber grate and use this where you'd put the diffuser normally. This will let you create a single sear zone for steaks, but I'd expect it will take a while to get the Akorn from 250 to 600+ so it is still not effective for a 2-zone solution.

2) For a 2-zone solution, buy this SnS Charcoal basket and place this on top of the Weber grate. The actual SnS is too long to fit on top of the lower grate, but the basket will fit.

The combination of the grate at the lower level plus the charcoal basket should create a solid 2-zone area. I am going to look for opportunities to test this set-up out, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work very well.

I cannot visualize it. If this works for you don't forget pictures.

Comment

STEbbq it sounds like you are duplicating what they do with the SNS Kamado by effectively adding an upper charcoal grate, versus putting the coals down in the bottom. And they sit the SNS or their diffuser on top of that upper charcoal grate.

Comment

bbqLuv and jfmorris
        I will post some pics of the set-up once it arrives, but it effectively looks like the graphics midway through the review. The basket will sit on the second level of the kamado on the Weber grate, whereas I'll have the meat sit on the top-level grate on the indirect side. So, yes, it seems like a straight duplication, which I thought seemed very doable after thinking about the layout and this graphic.

https://amazingribs.com/egg-or-kamad...deluxe-kamado/

Last edited by STEbbq; January 3, 2022, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          I suppose it could also fit on the top-level grate too, but it probably wouldn't have any support given it wouldn't be attached to the side, and would be wobbly when I opened the lid.

Have you tried the two zone cook with the sns charcoal basket?

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          Not yet. Thinking about how I can use it this week for burgers and bacon.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here