Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hopefully Adding An Akorn Tomorrow....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully Adding An Akorn Tomorrow....

I found what I think it is a good deal for my area. Looks like near brand new Akorn + smoking stone + cover for $175.

The idea is that I can use it for cooking two items at different temps at the same time, learn better fire management on a cooker that is pretty close to set & forget, and have a cheap entry point into kamado cooking that meets my mobility criteria (see garage storage). I have realized after being here a while that I was awful at fire management with the PBC and Weber, which definitely hurt my results in retrospect, so there's more that I can learn and do.

The MB560 can be the set and forget option, whereas the Akorn can be if I want to spend a bit more time adjusting things, as I don't plan to run it with a temp controller. The ability to sear and smoke gives me a back-up in case the MB560 fails, and I think I can elevate my steak game with the ability to sear directly over the coals. And it will give me some experience if I ever want to upgrade to a more expensive kamado, so I know how the whole thing works. It also seems to work pretty well in winters, which would be ideal for my winter smokes. So, I think it checks all of the boxes.

I've read all of the stickies in the other kamado forum: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...mados-and-misc, Jim's SNSKamado posts, and the Kamado book of knowledge here : https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/434...-of-knowledge/ .

Currently, the plan is to clean it up, follow the Taming procedures outlined here ( https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-savage-kamado ), see if anything needs sealed with the gasket sealant I have, and start with a pork butt or some ribeyes.

What I am missing? Any other recommendations for a hopefully new Akorn owner?

I've read about the Kick Ash Basket, but looking to avoid more accessories at this point until I see if it is really needed with the multiple cookers.

Yes, I will add pics when I pick it up.

Very nice! An acorn is on my list as well. Honestly just to learn different styles of grills. I use a weber kettle for grilling and the masterbuilt for smoking. I prefer grilling that way vs the gravity. But that's just my opinion. I'm sure you will love it!

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I thought the kamado style would be fun too and well suited for what I like to cook.

Have fun with the new cooker! I’ve enjoyed learning kamado cooking this year myself.

I don’t have the kick-ash basket for my SNS Kamado. Several folks recommended it, but I’ve not seen the need. I use an ash clean out tool that came with the kamado along with a charcoal scoop to clean out ashes and rearrange leftover coals for the next cook. Basket is overpriced in my opinion, and you would still have to rake old coals around in it, lift it out and clean o ash from underneath, then put it back. I don’t mind washing a bit of soot off my hands after cleaning the grill, so don’t have it planned as a purchase either.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      No special filter needed at all for the ones I have had. I do pic through the small charcoal that is left over before vacuuming. I am on my second unit - again I didn’t buy anything expensive. If you didn’t live so far away I would loan it to you for a weekend.

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      So, to crash this a bit, the link does not work. I have never thought of having a small canister vac to clean out the bottom of my wsm. Is that pretty common to vac out ash? I just assumed it would destroy the filter.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Here is the link to what I was talking about - it was truncated in the original comment:

And to answer Richard Chrz I don't think occasional use to vacuum ash is going to destroy the filter on a shop vac. May clog it up if you do it a lot. But you won't be running it for long periods of time like that.
      Last edited by jfmorris; September 12, 2021, 06:42 AM.

My wife approved this because $175 is a lot cheaper than 2k for a new smoker. Ha.

Comment

Check out Baby Back Maniacs comparison of Kamados. It ended up with an interesting result. It will serve you well for many years. Enjoy!

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Excellent video!

I picked up a Weber 7441 Replacement grate, which fits on the supports for the smoking stone. It's great for searing when you want to get the coals close to your meat. It also lets you do a pseudo 2-zone if you only put coals to the one side.

You don't need a separate kick ash basket or the like, as this has a normal coal grate on the bottom vs the perforated cast iron that some of the ceramic kamados have.

Edit: to clarify, I put the 7441 grate on the supports for the smoking stones, then put the coals on this grate. I put the main grate on as normal. This grate brings the coals closer to the meat. I
      Last edited by gboss; September 10, 2021, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        I will definitely keep that in mind. I want to try some steaks on the stock setup first though.

I had an Char Grill Akron kamado and I cooked a lot of good bbq with it, I bought on sale and I used mostly for low and slow, it was my cold weather smoker. I tried to cook pizza on it once and got up to about 450F. It worked good until the wind blew it off the deck, I repaired it and sold it. I read on this forum that it will not last and I would have to agree. The metal shelves will bend but they can be straightened after bending. I bought a Primo XL and I would have to say it is too big, the Akron was a nice size Kamado for our needs.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        " It worked good until the wind blew it off the deck,"

Oh a) there has to be a story there and b) pics? :P

• Argoboy
        Argoboy commented
        Editing a comment
        I posted pictures after it happen some time ago. I have no idea how to find them now. I was glad to sell it to someone who wanted to start smoking meat. I had about C$225.00 in it and I got +$100.00 for it when I was done with it.

I just bought my second Akorn several weeks back. My first died after 5 years of hard use. The weak point of their longevity is rust along the bottom area where the ash pan is. Get a cover. I didn't the first time out and it rusted from collected water dripping down the side and entering the ash pan via the gasket. Use a rag dampened with oil to keep the cast iron grates in good shape. Watch for air leaks and fix them when found(I still need to do this with mine yet)A great bang for the buck. You can also do something with an Akorn that I wouldn't want to try with a ceramic kamado. That is using a squeeze bottle of water to facilitate bringing down the temperature if you overshoot your preferred temp. I would be nervous if I tried that stunt with a nice ceramic kamado. On an Akorn, it's all in a days cook.

Go for it, and have fun. We'll be right here with you.

Blessings and good cooking from Houston, Alaska

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        I have been reading all of your recent cooks with great interest so I look forward to learning from you and sharing my own efforts!

• Argoboy
        Argoboy commented
        Editing a comment
        I had a cover for mine but it was rusting, they put on the min. amount of paint on at the factory, if I had a new one I would repaint some parts of the base when new and it would last longer. Treat the cast iron grills with care they are not that thick.

I cook in a BGE and have the Kick Ash Basket. I liked its ability to get high temperatures rapidly, but didn’t care for how much small charcoal fell through after a cook. It also tended to run a little hotter on low and slow. I purchased BGE’s charcoal basket which doesn’t drop nearly as many small pieces after a cook. It also holds low and slow temps better. One unexpected side benefit is that for shorter cooks like roasting or grilling I can use briquettes with minimal ash dropping out the bottom. I lift it out and shake the ash out over a trash can. I still use the Kick Ash Basket, but I use the BGE charcoal basket more often.

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        I am planning on 100% lump so does that make a difference? I agree that briquettes would fall through more regularly.

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        STEbbq prior I only used lump and I would recommend you do the same. It can’t be beat for low and slow. It will take a little longer to get up to higher temps. I was just trying to offer another option t,o the Kick Ash Basket. Small price of lump tend to fall through the Kick Ash Basket, too.

Cleaned it up a bit. Looks pretty solid to me. Thoughts?
      Attached Files

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Gonna fire it up later and run the Grill Rescue brush over the grates. They look pretty dirty but I don’t think they need replacing. Small bend in the charcoal grate but eh.
        Last edited by STEbbq; September 11, 2021, 02:15 PM.

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Running 325 right now (250 got away from me) but wow this is airtight.

Make sure to keep the firebowll and body clean of ash. I did not do such a great job of that when I had my Broil King Keg. Ash is corrosive and it will eat that metal up. My Keg rusted around the dampers and in the very bottom of the body is only a few years. This is one of the reasons I went to ceramics for my kamados. Although, I keep my ceramics much cleaner than I did my KEG. I know better no . I partially blame myself for the failures I had with me Broil King Keg.

Just make sure to keep it clean and keep water out as much as you can. And do not worry or fuss with a silly water pan. Kamados seal well enough to keep enough moisture in them. All a water pan does is create a steam bath. You won't add any moisture to the meat by having a water pan and you can regulate the temp just fine with a kamado, on its own.

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        I think it is pretty clean after I cleaned it up now (see my pics) and I am planning on keeping it more or less in this shape. Let me know if you think I need to touch up any areas.
        Last edited by STEbbq; September 12, 2021, 02:03 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here