Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hopefully Adding An Akorn Tomorrow....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jfmorris
    replied
    Have fun with the new cooker! I’ve enjoyed learning kamado cooking this year myself.

I don’t have the kick-ash basket for my SNS Kamado. Several folks recommended it, but I’ve not seen the need. I use an ash clean out tool that came with the kamado along with a charcoal scoop to clean out ashes and rearrange leftover coals for the next cook. Basket is overpriced in my opinion, and you would still have to rake old coals around in it, lift it out and clean o ash from underneath, then put it back. I don’t mind washing a bit of soot off my hands after cleaning the grill, so don’t have it planned as a purchase either.

Leave a comment:

• jpietrantone
    replied
    Very nice! An acorn is on my list as well. Honestly just to learn different styles of grills. I use a weber kettle for grilling and the masterbuilt for smoking. I prefer grilling that way vs the gravity. But that's just my opinion. I'm sure you will love it!

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    started a topic Hopefully Adding An Akorn Tomorrow....

Hopefully Adding An Akorn Tomorrow....

I found what I think it is a good deal for my area. Looks like near brand new Akorn + smoking stone + cover for $175.

The idea is that I can use it for cooking two items at different temps at the same time, learn better fire management on a cooker that is pretty close to set & forget, and have a cheap entry point into kamado cooking that meets my mobility criteria (see garage storage). I have realized after being here a while that I was awful at fire management with the PBC and Weber, which definitely hurt my results in retrospect, so there's more that I can learn and do.

The MB560 can be the set and forget option, whereas the Akorn can be if I want to spend a bit more time adjusting things, as I don't plan to run it with a temp controller. The ability to sear and smoke gives me a back-up in case the MB560 fails, and I think I can elevate my steak game with the ability to sear directly over the coals. And it will give me some experience if I ever want to upgrade to a more expensive kamado, so I know how the whole thing works. It also seems to work pretty well in winters, which would be ideal for my winter smokes. So, I think it checks all of the boxes.

I've read all of the stickies in the other kamado forum: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...mados-and-misc, Jim's SNSKamado posts, and the Kamado book of knowledge here : https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/434...-of-knowledge/ .

Currently, the plan is to clean it up, follow the Taming procedures outlined here ( https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-savage-kamado ), see if anything needs sealed with the gasket sealant I have, and start with a pork butt or some ribeyes.

What I am missing? Any other recommendations for a hopefully new Akorn owner?

I've read about the Kick Ash Basket, but looking to avoid more accessories at this point until I see if it is really needed with the multiple cookers.

Yes, I will add pics when I pick it up.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here