Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sns kettle grills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sns kettle grills

just received my sns kettle grill. never used a kettle before for smoking. any help or tips would be a great help.

start here.

Get the most out of your charcoal grill by setting up 2 heat zones, direct and indirect. This set up allows you to add wood chunks to the coals for smoke, to cook low and slow barbecued ribs and pork shoulder, and to better control your temperature. It also helps prevent flareups and burnt food!

Comment

After the link above, practice, practice, practice. The more you learn any grill, the easier it gets.

Comment

Kettles are really easy to set up for smoking. I like using the snake method most of the time. I would imagine you will have the SNS to help you out. Like others have said, it just takes a little bit of tinkering and you got it.

One thing I would make sure you have is a good seal on the lid. You want to make sure you are managing the airflow to the fire. So make sure that lid is on tight and you are using the dampers to control the fire.

Comment

Great tips above. ☝️Just to be sure, did you get the model that includes the SnS insert? Since you’re gonna be smoking on it for the first time, take notes of everything you did and how you did it. Be sure and include any details which might affect the outcome. This will help in the future, so when it turns out really good, you can use your notes to help you the next time. Also using a water pan can help stabilize temps and keep the food moist.

Comment

Along the lines of tinkering, I had to keep notes so I remember what to change for the next cook. Some things to consider recording on your cooks: (Brisket for example) weight, grade, picture before cook, amount of trimming you did, rub used, binder used, charcoal and/or fuel used, amount of fuel, cooker used, water in resevoir or no water, weather condiditons, i.e. ambient temp outside, temp used to cook, time of cook, time of wrap, kind of wrap(paper or foil, if you wrapped), condidtion of bark before wrap. I'm sure there are other things to document, but as you go along you'll learn your cooker and cooks
            Pictures always help. I keep alot of my cooks in Google Keep.

Comment

I have a 22" weber with SNS. My tips:
              1. Set the bottom vents to 1/4 open and top at least 1/2 way.
              2. light 6-12 coals in the corner of the SNS or in a chimney.
              3. When FULLY ASHED OVER, pour in the rest of the coals starting next to the lit coals across the length of the SNS holder.
              4. Put wood on, with on chunk on the light coals and the others next to it. What you want to have happen is the lit coals to ignite the ones next to them and for wood to be on the top of the newly lit coals.
              5. Put the lid on and walk away for 15-30 mins.
              6. Add meat.
              I find that it's easier to run my kettle at 250-270 than 225 or below if I'm doing a longer cool (lower is easier on short cooks since I don't have to add many coals to allow for the length. This is likely practice on my part but I don't see any really need to go very low).

Also, check out the SNS site for videos and tips. Seeing things is very helpful.

Comment

With the SNS kettle I generally leave the bottom vents closed, open the fan port, and have the top vent about 1/2 way and it tends to settle in right around 250-275 or so. I usually start with 12-15 fully lit briquettes (usually Weber briquettes). After 6-8 hours you will probably need to reload the SNS. Shove all the lit coals over to one side of the SNS and then fill it back up.

Comment

No comment, I use a pellet grill, sorry can't help.

Comment

On my SnS I find that after the fire gets going, I close the bottom vent but open the smoke hole completely. The top is usually about 1/2 open and I will maintain 225-235 for hours.

Just read the instruction booklet that came with it and follow the lighting instructions to a tee.

Comment

I would follow the lighting and loading instructions in the manual. Once it is lit for low and slow, most folks seem to close the main bottom vent fully, opening just the "smoke hole", and run with the top vent about half open.

Comment

• Clark
                        Clark commented
                        Editing a comment
                        jfmorris You are plagiarizing. See above. LOL

• jfmorris
                        jfmorris commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Clark haha - sorry. I was hitting reply from the top of the thread, and had not read all the way through!

First, take it out of the box, yessir. Properly address it & don’t ferget to name it. It will like that. Pet it it a few times & hum whilst doin it. It’ll be soothing to it & you. Then grin. Then decipher all the kind info that has been suggested by the bevy of members & see what works best fer you. Vent this way & that way, 225 then 250 then 270, shoot even to the moon Alice, 350-400. Don’t be afraid cuz the fire won’t jump out & git ya. Enjoy it & cook, cook, cook! Over.

Comment

You can also use SnS Grills' website under their Resources tab to help you out. They have a set of FAQs and instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by jwaltz34 View Post
                          just received my sns kettle grill. never used a kettle before for smoking. any help or tips would be a great help.
                          How has it worked out so far? Would you buy again?

Comment

the grill is great, i would buy it again. easy to controll the temps with the smoke hole.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here