Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCS Wins Again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MCS Wins Again!

I’ve been fighting off the ole MCS for a while now. Which means I haven’t had a new outdoor cooking toy since 2016 when I got the WSM. I’ve been looking at adding something new, big, and lifetime to the setup. But, for a variety of reasons, have been holding off on that.

But the itch has been there. And I finally had to scratch it. Stacy is thankful that it cost her less than then $500!!! Also, she said that I have to buy a place with a much bigger yard if I want to be like Uncle Bob.
    So, I made some space on the patio, moved the WSM out from under the covered space. Poor WSM is banished to the rain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8A8A7839-8B5D-4699-89FB-3C45DEF5E0DB.jpeg
Views:	376
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	1117747
    The Hasty-Bake is looking lonely right now.

Name:	7513A233-5896-4688-AF57-AD9887ADEDAA.jpeg
Views:	382
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	1117751

And lo and behold, boxes start arriving at the front door!

Name:	3757EE58-98C4-4FF9-AFBE-418EE9B0EAB5.jpeg
Views:	371
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	1117757

Time to start putting it together … with Dunkin helping, of course

Name:	1D01DFF0-7EC3-4799-AE18-B2905C56548E.jpeg
Views:	455
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	1117746
    Bet you can’t guess what it is!

Name:	0A7B98B8-761D-4954-9E89-8C2AD9A85C43.jpeg
Views:	373
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	1117756

It fits in that space really well. Actually, it’s kinda small. Stacy said "it’s so cute"

Name:	DF41BE2B-A7D4-41FB-84EA-EEC6EDD1ECD0.jpeg
Views:	370
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	1117753

Now to learn how it cooks. Spent a few hours burning charcoal, figuring out vents, and so forth.

Name:	CF36547B-616D-4E08-BC72-E8DF58553EF6.jpeg
Views:	371
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	1117748

Getting set up for smoke and cooking

Name:	34AD27F8-CF25-4479-99A6-4BBB50C76FAF.jpeg
Views:	377
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	1117749

And then it was time to cook something. I decided on a Tri-Tip. I know how to cook it very well and so this would be more about managing the SNS than how to cook the meat.

Name:	8F73F6A0-9467-4855-BA08-3FF93A84850D.jpeg
Views:	376
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	1117750
    Must have a cigar if I’m going to cook outdoors!

Name:	4ADECD5B-AFAE-407B-89FE-C22B171F80E5.jpeg
Views:	375
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	1117754
    Dunkin has to help, of course

Name:	02582043-F0A9-47C4-B238-C41DCF2ADC6F.jpeg
Views:	377
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	1117758

And here’s the outcome

Name:	632E0EA1-0781-46A8-9FCE-50B518ACB547.jpeg
Views:	379
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	1117755
    Cooked to medium cause of Stacy’s preference for "Not Medium Rare" …. Still juicy and tender

Name:	A60D457A-90FD-410F-9523-1093EEDF37DE.jpeg
Views:	374
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	1117752

Stacy and I both think this tri-tip had much more smoke flavor than when I cook it on the Hasty-Bake.

The SnS Kettle is really well built, easy to assemble, and has some slick features like the air port and the probe port. The hardest thing to put together was the ash sweep and handle. It took me about 5 minutes to figure out.

As far as managing the cooker goes, also pretty easy. In fact, for me, this may be a downfall of the SnS … it’s too easy. Within the first two hours I had the vent settings, etc figured out. Maintaining temps is crazy easy, too.

It’s definitely a great improvement over the Weber Kettle. Especially if you have the SnS insert and the Drip n Griddle. The comparable Weber, the Master Touch 22”, would have required me to drill holes and install grommets for air and probe ports. And I don’t like the 3 legged stand as well as the SnS stand. Plus the side table is super convenient and the lid bale is a great feature. Highly recommend the SnS kettle over the comparable Webers.

The grey color looks really good, as you can see in the pictures. The cover is much better than the cover that I got with the WSM, as well.

Dave Parrish has created something special here. I believe after this experience that this is absolutely the setup for a newbie to BBQ. For less than $400 they can get a machine they will master within just a few cooks because it is so straight forward, easy and clear cut. It does exactly what Dave says it does and if you follow his instructions, you will be turning out great Q very easily.

MCS appeased for a few!

I've been eyeing one for awhile now, you've just about convinced me to go ahead and get one. Gotta finish the stove resto first.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      David, you should. It’s a fine cooking machine!

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup!

Wow! that looks like it will fit right in. Always nice to scratch.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      It was very nice to scratch the itch!

Looks great!

Comment

Nice acquisition! Stacy's right, you need a bigger yard!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I gotta say, the SnS is very impressive for a $400 cooker.

Great write up Eric! I like the fact the side shelf folds down out of the way also, in addition to the other features you pointed out. Now you’ve got me wanting one, damn you! Hmmm, maybe I could move my Weber Master Touch to Mom’s, sell the basic Weber Kettle I’ve got there……. NO..YES..NO..YES….to be con’t.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        DO IT!!!!

Well.................it's a start..........

Nice job on the TriTip

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, I have 4 cookers, just need 14 more!

I love my Weber Performer Deluxe with SnS, but I have the hots for SnS’s kettle, too. One thing’s for sure, that kettle with SnS will do 98% of what most of us need. Great purchase!

Comment

• Sid P
        Sid P commented
        Editing a comment
        ecowper. Is your WSM an 18.5” or 22.5”? I haven’t used my 18.5 since I got my SnS. It’s usually just me and the wife, and the SnS is just so perfect…

• Sid P
        Sid P commented
        Editing a comment
        ecowper. I’m in trouble if it the SnS fits in the Performer. I told the boss the KBQ was all I’d ever need…

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Sid P my WSM is a 22.5. I have found myself only using it for big summer get togethers. That was part of my thinking on the SnS. The last kids just left home for college, so now it’s just me and Stacy. I don’t need to fire up the WSM or Hasty-Bake for 2 steaks.

Sometime later this week I’m going to cook a pork butt ….. Safeway had them for $1.99/lb yesterday!!! I’ll hook up the FireBoard Drive and fan and see how well that works for long cooks.

Comment

• wrgilb
        wrgilb commented
        Editing a comment
        Well I've got 2 SNS Kettles now. I was transporting mine back and forth to my MIL's and told my wife it would be nice if we bought her mom one so I wouldn't have to move mine. Surprise she said do it and I did. They are great cookers. The same logic also worked on getting her a PBC. Now I have to decide what she needs next. :-)

Eric, I got mine a couple of months ago. I thought there would only be a slight difference in operatin. I mostly got it for the smaller footprint due to the folding shelf vs. 2 shelves I had on my Weber. I am surprised every time I cook on it, stunningly! The efficiency, the cookin times, the holding of temps and this is not my first rodeo (pun intended). I hope you enjoy it as well as I do mine.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Hah! I need to get Karyn over for the weekend from college so that we can cook for a rodeo. With the WSM, Hasty-Bake and SnS we are all set!

Yeah, this cooker is really impressive. Dave Parrish took kettles to a whole new level

Damn I hate this place!

Name:	B779A906-1EB7-472C-A01E-55E5E3C00E5E.png
Views:	338
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	1117810

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        FireMan Yeah, he did. I’ve actually had my eye on one for a while. Decided to go ahead and do it.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Suckahhh!!!!

• Rfhd69
        Rfhd69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats! It’s just money right?

Very nice. They are nice cookers for sure!

Comment

For Sale (thanks to ecowper ) Hey Troutman or 58limited It’s in great shape if interested. One year old….$50.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1B5DD87C-776C-431B-8B51-B02D53C30B7E.png Views:	0 Size:	164.3 KB ID:	1117829
        Last edited by Panhead John; October 31, 2021, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll take it. Its 22" right?

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes sir! I’m having the SnS delivered to Mom’s house. I’m back and forth a lot. When it comes in I’ll let you know. You can swing by and pick it up. I forgot but that’ll be $50. plus tax and a $20. handling fee.

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          No problem. I charge a $24.13 pick up fee though.

It is a great kettle and what I recommend to all new folks. I would have probably have one myself except the cost of a SNS with SlowNSear and Drip Pan and Fireboard and cover was quite a bit more than the MB560. Maybe next time!

Comment

I think 58limited juss may have started somethin new, a pick-up fee. Good fer you! Go get em!

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            How else is he going to fund the rodeo?

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here