Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Performer or PK360?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Performer or PK360?

I have an older Weber kettle, considering either a Weber Performer or a PK360 as a replacement.

Right now, PK has a promotion on where the unit + a cover is only about $200 more than a Weber Performer unit with cover.

Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks!

I have the Performer Deluxe and love it. The table alone would sway me that way compared to the PK, but when you add the gas assist lighting, it's the clear winner.
    I should add that I've never used a PK, but they both do the same thing. However the Kettle is more convenient with the table and easier to light with the gas assist.
    I'm sure others will disagree...

Comment

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      The PK 360 comes with two side tables so call it even with the Weber table. The PK does not have gas assist so if that's important to you score one for Weber.

I love the PK but I think the Kettle is more versatile. Especially with add-ons like a Slow n' Sear and the Vortex.

The PK360 is awesome for reverse searing steaks and lower roasting temps. Where it struggles is holding 350+ for any length of time. 350 is where I like to cook my chicken and it was hard to get it to hold long enough for the entire cook. It is automatic, almost set it and forget it at 225-250. I made some excellent steaks reverse searing at 250 then opening the vents to heat up the coals. The PK laid down a nice sear. The PK is great at two zone grilling very easy to set up and manage. Also great to use the entire cooking area for burgers.

Cons on PK 3860 are, as mentioned above higher temp smoke roasting, and ash clean up is not as easy as the Weber. I used a paintbrush and tin bucket, swept the ash through the plug in the bottom. It's not horrible just not as easy as the Weber system.

I do think that temperature management within it's zones 200-300 was super easy on the PK.

I sold mine and I do miss it.

Comment

I too am a Weber guy. That said the PK excels at grilling, especially steaks. What turned me off was the limited cook area versus the price. So the "square inch per dollar" factor made me keep walking. Again not to bash a great cooker, I just vote Weber as the better value.

Comment

I don't have any experience with the PK grills only kettles,, but like you I am also in the market for a grill and was considering a PK. Ultimately it is up to you to decide either way you will end up with a great grill. With that being said I am leaning more toward a kettle style grill. As others had mentioned the price for the PK is a little off putting to me, plus I like the versatility of the kettle. With the price difference you could buy accessories to pair with the weber.

Comment

My choice would be the PK360, mostly because I know Weber, and I would like to try something new. There are a lot of satisfied owners of both of those grills on AR. I also like the portability of the PK

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	1A419FFE-B345-442E-A0FC-22E00E571672.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.94 MB ID:	961800Click image for larger version  Name:	EDE34BE6-42ED-4FDA-91EE-E94C2E7BDF77.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.74 MB ID:	961801 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_132983.jpg Views:	5 Size:	3.73 MB ID:	961799 Performer.
            Last edited by HawkerXP; December 24, 2020, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Out of the two options I would go with the Performer. Lots of Weber or SNS options to trick the performer out too include a rotis. Being made in the US is a plus to me.
              I do not have the PK360 but I have had a PKO for 13+ years. It is a great grill and will last forever. Like all PK’s add on options are limited to PK offerings. You can rotis with a PK if you get yourself something like a Cardon Rodizio (approx $500 now). The PK 360 is made in the PRC which is a shame. (PKO made in USA)
              Which ever you choose you will end up with a great grill.

Comment

I was close to buying the 360, but as the cost approached $800, the M16 from M Grills caught my eye. Much more substantial, all stainless steel, and hand made in Texas for $850. Bought it about 9 months ago and it's the grill I use several times a week, especially for searing steaks. Having worked so long to build consumer products in China, I thought it was time to support our country, particularly after what's happening to Hong Kong.

Comment

• Old Glory
                  Old Glory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How do you like the M16?

• BBQPhil
                  BBQPhil commented
                  Editing a comment
                  https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/me...1163-old-glory - Love it. Using it for searing and hi temp cooking, although it can be used for both direct and indirect with the vent design, much like the 360. Precision manufactured so the top and bottom seal precisely. Highest temp at the grates of any grill due to the location of the coals. About 1200F.

Neither! Pellet grill if I may suggest.

Comment

Between the Weber and PK360........PK360 hands down. I own both and the PK360 is superior. Why? (IMHO):
                  1. The PK will outlive the Weber. Marine grade aluminum body will last past your life time. You will pass it down to your kids.
                  2. The PK has a built in SnS. I had a SnS and gave it to my brother. The PK with a chimney full of lite coals will stay rock steady at 350 d for indirect to finish off those steaks, roasts, chicken, whatever. Minion method and it will hold 250 d indirect for 7-8 hours.
                  3. The coal grates and cooking grate is stainless steel.
                  4. The temp controls on the bottom are ideal. Just a twist of the knob.
                  5. It does not leak. When that heavy aluminum dome comes down, there is no leaking around the seal. Also does not leak around the top vents.
                  6. Aluminum, does not corrode.
                  7. It's sexy looking (ok, that's just me).
                  Like I said, I own both a Weber Kettle and a PK360. I use the PK360 80% of the time over the Weber. I do like using my Weber in conjunction with a Vortex. Weber/Vortex is a chicken roasting machine. But for everything else (Tri-tip, steaks, some chicken recipes, pork, fish, etc..... It's the PK. Best grill/smoker I've ever owned.... and I like Webers.

Comment

PK: Thick cast aluminum so you can cook in snow or wind. Doesn't rust, still looks new after years of use. Grill grate is higher than a Weber kettle which is nice for tall people like me. Every part is heavy duty high quality. Probably can't go wrong either way...Weber beats PK in accessories, but overall I'm a satisfied 360 owner.

Comment

I have both and prefer the 360. The only thing I use my Performer for is to cook wings using the vortex. The M16 suggestion above is another great option but it doesn't have a shelf unless you buy it with the cart which pushes the price up to $1,100 plus shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by TripleB View Post
                        Between the Weber and PK360........PK360 hands down. I own both and the PK360 is superior. Why? (IMHO):
                        1. The PK will outlive the Weber. Marine grade aluminum body will last past your life time. You will pass it down to your kids.
                        2. The PK has a built in SnS. I had a SnS and gave it to my brother. The PK with a chimney full of lite coals will stay rock steady at 350 d for indirect to finish off those steaks, roasts, chicken, whatever. Minion method and it will hold 250 d indirect for 7-8 hours.
                        3. The coal grates and cooking grate is stainless steel.
                        4. The temp controls on the bottom are ideal. Just a twist of the knob.
                        5. It does not leak. When that heavy aluminum dome comes down, there is no leaking around the seal. Also does not leak around the top vents.
                        6. Aluminum, does not corrode.
                        7. It's sexy looking (ok, that's just me).
                        Like I said, I own both a Weber Kettle and a PK360. I use the PK360 80% of the time over the Weber. I do like using my Weber in conjunction with a Vortex. Weber/Vortex is a chicken roasting machine. But for everything else (Tri-tip, steaks, some chicken recipes, pork, fish, etc..... It's the PK. Best grill/smoker I've ever owned.... and I like Webers.
                        Thanks for the rundown. Really looking at getting into camping with a small camper. PK360 is $100 off right now.

Comment

• TripleB
                          TripleB commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I would say then the PK Original with the tailgate stand. But they don't sell the tailgate stand anymore. I guess they replaced the stand with the PKGO. Too bad. That would be perfect for camping.

Never even seen a PK. But when I shopped for a charcoal grill last spring I looked at it and considered it seriously. Went with the Weber Performer Deluxe primarily because of the price going in and the wide range of add ons available. I added:
                        Vortex
                        SnS
                        Rotisserie

I feel I can cook anything on it if I desire. I have a variety of other cookers but the kettle is an anchor for the fleet. Good luck and keep us posted on your choice!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here