Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PK360 VS WSCG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PK360 VS WSCG

Hey there everyone!

I have been snooping around these forums for a couple of weeks now trying to gather as much information as I possibly can on these two grills/smokers.

I have been using a WSM 14” for the past year, just learning the ropes and getting into smoking. I am looking to upgrade and get another grill. Just trying to decide between a PK360 and a WSCG, the PKs are about $1500 here in Australia and the WSC about $2500.

I generally cook for anywhere between 2-8 people. So far I’ve done pork shoulders, briskets, lamb, tri tip etc and dabbled with a bit of chicken. I really enjoy the process of smoking, monitoring temps and fiddling doesn’t worry me too much. The 14” WSM is pretty small so I’ve just adapted where ever I can, wood under briskets to make room that type of thing. The grilling side of things, I am still pretty new to. I have seared as best I can with the WSM by just putting a grate over the top of the coals and getting them as hot as they’ll go.

I guess my main question is, if I go the PK route, am I really gaining much more real estate (I am happy to add a Cookmore Grill if needed) then what I have with the WSM, especially when it comes to two zone cooking. Versus the WSCG which seems massive compared to what I have now. I’m not 100% sure I need that much space, but I have read here that I’ll kick myself if I opt for a smaller grill one day down the track.

Sorry if this is rambling, either seem like it would be a phenomenal choice. I just wanted to throw it out there and get some opinions.

Thanks everybody!

Hi I have owned both. I still own the WSCG. I sold the PK360. There is no contest. For pure versatility and size get the WSCG. The PK is a great grill but small. Tough to smoke a full rack of ribs on it because of the left right set up. I had a hard time maintaining higher indirect temps (350-375) when roasting chicken. It held 250 rock solid for hours and was an amazing steak cooking machine. Pain to clean - not a deal breaker but not as easy as the WSCG. Aluminum body will last forever.

WSCG
    Size - you have plenty of room
    Insulated to cook like a Kamado
    Indirect/Smoker with diffuser plate
    Two Level fire grate Hi/Low positions
    Great Indirect Just bank coals on one side
    Great Direct Grilling
    Easier to clean

Accessories I have: Vortex; Ceramic Grill Store Reducer Ring, Slow and Sear Charcoal Basket.

Comment

• GroceryBoy
      GroceryBoy commented
      Editing a comment
      Here, here. I could not agree more! I have never owned a PK but own a total of 14 cookers now. My favorite, most versatile cooker is the WSCG. Almost nothing you can’t do on it. You will NOT be disappointed.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree, get the WSCG.

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, and get the WSCG. There. That was fast.

Seriously, though, the WSCG is such a versatile cooker, rock solid temps, plenty of room. In my experience, just when you think a cooker is too large, you find yourself using up every bit of it. I often cook on my WSCGC and my PBC at the same time.

For smaller cooks, if you can get a SnS for it (we keep hoping David Parrish will offer a special run), you'll be golden. When you need the entire grill space, kamado mode is a real winner.

If you need more convincing, watch Baby Back Maniac's video on his 1 year followup with the WSCG.

Kathryn

Comment

I own neither so cannot offer any advice, but I have tremendous respect for each member who has posted so far and would weigh their advice heavily. Welcome to the Pit from Maryland.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          He ain’t heavy, he’s my brother. If it’s a sister it’s lighter yet.

Thanks ladies and gents. Thanks so much for the response. Off to the Weber store tomorrow to purchase the WSCG.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Max Good 's review, BBM's yootoob, and fzxdoc 's recommendation was the deciding factor for me getting the WSCG over the PK360 or the HastyBake. Perhaps Kathryn will share her indespensible lighting tutorial with you, I use her method every time and it works flawlessly. You are going to LOVE this cooker!!
          Last edited by CaptainMike; August 29, 2020, 02:18 PM.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, and welcome from The Great State of Jefferson!!

You will not be disappointed. And welcome to the Pit

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus30 View Post
            Thanks ladies and gents. Thanks so much for the response. Off to the Weber store tomorrow to purchase the WSCG.
            If you can swing it, get the WSCGC (with the attached table and storage areas). It's so handy to have, and sturdily built. I have no regrets purchasing the Summit Charcoal with the integrated table/storage.

Kathryn

Comment

I owned the WSCGC, it is a wonderful cooker. I sold it because I wanted a custom table. You’ve gotten terrific advice above, you’ll love the Weber. If you didn’t need the space, the 360 wouldn’t let you down. Good luck
              Last edited by au4stree; August 30, 2020, 07:49 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Pulled the trigger, fingers crossed it’ll be here Wednesday. I’ll keep y’all posted.

Doc I couldn’t swing the WSCGC, I was pushing the limits as it was anyway! Haha.

Thanks for everyone’s input and help.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You've got a lot of fun ahead of you. Congrats on your purchase.

Kathryn

Welcome from Virginia! Great choice

Comment

When Weber came out with the Summit Charcoal Grill, the blow back regarding price was intense. At this point, I believe it has stood the test of time. Although it's not a big seller for Weber, 99.9% of people who own one are in love.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I use mine at least 3 times a week.

• ComfortablyNumb
                    ComfortablyNumb commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't own one and I am in love. Oh, you meant with the smoker? Never mind.

That’s a fine choice.
                  I use mine regularly...it’s probably my most used cooker.

In "grill mode" it’s super...and in "smoker mode" it’s a beast.
                  I rarely used the lower rack on the 22” WSM because it was kind of a pain. That’s a non issue with the WSCG. It’s bigger, no need to modify the lid (add a hinge), and the temps are solid...for what seems like forever. And when you’re done, you can essentially "shut it off" and have a bunch of unburned charcoal left over.

If more space is needed, I have the raised Grilling Rack. (#7647) It doesn’t get used much but it’s handy to have...and a helluva lot easy to deal with than the lower rack on the WSM. I also have the GBS pizza stone (which rarely gets used since getting the pizza oven for my Somerset IV stove). Also the "old style" wok (#7422) It’s a bit more shallow than the new style, which is a bit more bowl shaped. And the griddle (#7421) which I purchased specifically because I was intrigued by their Huevos Veracruz... It’s great BTW. I also have 4 different sized grill baskets...and IMO the MUST have Vortex. Some here have made their own...but it’s a wing cookin’ machine. If I recall, it’s the medium that fits the WSCG.

You will almost certainly need to look into some sort of table...’cause you’re gonna use that cooker a lot. ;-) I have the grilling center version...and still need more space. LOL I think it’s kind of split down the middle around here between the two versions. Regardless, they’re well represented.

Looking forward to seeing what you create on it.

Comment

• Andrrr
                    Andrrr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This is probably typical of any Kamado but it never ceases to amaze me how much charcoal is left over. 12 hours and I still have half the briquettes left.

• surfdog
                    surfdog commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, the first time I opened mine after letting it cool down, I was shocked. There was a lot of charcoal completely untouched...after hours of holding around 225°.

Congratulations on your new upcoming grill. I always wanted the Weber Charcoal Summit but just could never get past the price and used ones never show up for sale. Our local BBQ store carries them and I've checked them out. The store says they don't sell well but he never discounts them. If he ever did, I may pull the trigger.

I do have a PK 360 and love it but it is limited on size. I have many other bigger cookers to use if it's something that I can't fit.

Comment

• kenrobin
                    kenrobin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm in the exact same boat. I have a PK 360 that I love but the WCSG has been calling my name from when it was first announced but the price kept me away. It's never on Craigslist or discounted anywhere else. I don't need it, but I think it's going to end up being my birthday present to myself next month.
                    Last edited by kenrobin; September 5, 2020, 01:52 AM.

• 70monte
                    70monte commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I finally saw a used WCSG on FB MP for $650. It was the one with the attached table but it was over 4hrs away which was farther than I wanted to travel.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here