Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GrillGrates worth it for PK 360?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GrillGrates worth it for PK 360?

I've used GrillGrates on gas grills and pellet grills to improve radiant heat capacity and searing, but it's not obvious to me why they'd be useful on a PK grill. Radiant heat should be no problem, and the stainless steel grates that come with the 360 seem high quality. Any thoughts on whether there's a compelling use case?

I got them. I only used them once in 3 years and I fire up the PK360 weekly. I don’t even know where I put them.

Huge advantage on gas/pellet. Only advantage on the PK is if you have small items that might fall through or something that will flare up massively when searing. Or if you want to sear on the flat side, but a CI pan/griddle etc works just as well for that.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 4-12-20 at 7.13 PM (2).jpg
Views:	618
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	866567 I use them on mine, flat side up, to get a more overall sear. I love the crust.

Comment

I have a set for my gasser (replacement) and a set for my Santa Maria grill. I only ever use just 2 panels on the SMG and that gives a couple of nice options. When my wife retires and we start RV'ing more I'm getting the portable PK and will purchase enough GG's to cover half. Or perhaps just cut down a couple of panels I don't use on the SMG.

Comment

I'm in the same boat as Polarbear777. I do not like them resting on the cooking grate above the lip of the lower clam shell. However some of that angst is that I have Parkinson so being nimble is not my forte.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            God Bless ya on yer Journey, Brother.

• tiewunon
            tiewunon commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks.

I got them with mine, and I use them every time I use it. I use mine mostly for grilling burgers or chops, I like the ease of lifting the burger off the grate with the grate tool, and (I know, I know) I like the wide grill marks.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchelpig View Post
            I've used GrillGrates on gas grills and pellet grills to improve radiant heat capacity and searing, but it's not obvious to me why they'd be useful on a PK grill. Radiant heat should be no problem, and the stainless steel grates that come with the 360 seem high quality. Any thoughts on whether there's a compelling use case?
            I have two words for you: chicken, fish

Comment

I purchased some for my 360, haven’t used them in a year and a half. When I did, I much preferred the flat side, but use my cast iron instead.

Comment

I use them when I don't want flareups to affect what I'm cooking. Usually burgers but chicken as well. I also use them for steaks quite a bit.

Comment

Grill Grates are part of the PK grill package offered by the Steak Cookoff Association. Many competitors use the PK Original with GGs.

Comment

I have them, grew weary of the slip'n'slide on the factory grates. I built this.

That said, I don't use it that often. They turn the PK into an oven and avoid flareups. They are nice when I want to fully load the real estate of the grill.

Comment

Alphonse I showed your video to my neighbor who is the recipient of a lot of the goodies off my grill. He is going to duplicate your effort for me. I have also not been a fan of the grill grates but will give them another go.
                      Thank you for sharing.

Comment

• Alphonse
                        Alphonse commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Glad it helped you. I much prefer the grates now and am planning to cook a batch of hamburgers tonight for my crowd. They work well for that and keep the flare ups to a minimum. Otherwise I would be only using half the grill space.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here