Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PK a good portable smoker/grill ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PK a good portable smoker/grill ??

So here is the situation: Live in Houston, but spending more and more time in Austin with kith and kin. They like me to smoke and grill food. Last time we went, I broke down my 22" WSM and threw it in the suburban to take up there. Smoked brisket and a pork butt --- mission accomplished. Broke it back down and came back home. It worked, but that's laborious. SO, in trolling thru the site, I've happened upon this PK. Never heard of it . I'm a Weber guy. However, Weber does not offer a portable smoker/grill, and this PK seems to do just that, and apparently some of you folks swear by them. So before I throw the better part of $400.00 w/ tax on one of these , do you think it's worth it ?!? Not only would I grill /smoke in family back yards, I'd tailgate with it and all of that --- please let me know what you think. And, if there is a better product, clue me in. THANK YOU !!!

I'm posting on top of my post ; Oklahoma Joe also offers a portable smoker grill . Much cheaper. Pretend money is not a concern, so if you have any thoughts on that one as well, I'm all ears and eyes.

Comment

Weber does make the Jumbo Joe which is an 18” portable. It runs less than $75. If you are just interested in smoking there are a couple of portable pellet smokers out there.
      Last edited by LA Pork Butt; June 16, 2020, 05:49 PM.

Comment

You didn't say what you're normally cookin. Or for how many. This would help.

Comment

I’ve used the Pxtx to cook 10lbs of pulled chuck at an event. Worked out well.

Comment

I have used the Weber 22 as my portable the legs come off the bottom bowl and fold up, then the top fits in the bottom. Put it all in a little 22" corner of your vehicle. A SNS will help with the smoking. Get the 1/2 shelf accessory to add more room. It can hold a couple of butts while the brisket is on the main grill or vice versa, it has been a while since I have uses mine.

Comment

I see myself wanting to be able to smoke a 10 lb brisket, maybe a pork butt, steaks , chicken thighs, ........put it this way, cook enough meat for upwards of 10-12 guys and gals.

Mountainsmoker --- I went outside just now and looked at my WSM 22" legs. Those don't fold -- they're screwed in. We talking about the same thing here ? I'm now thinking you are referring to a Weber kettle, and if so, you make a great point ! My 22" kettle is part of the performer, and that's not going anywhere , but just the kettle ........that's a different story . Hmmmm --- that might work. But, I don't think I know how to smoke a brisket on a kettle --- probably wouldn't hold the heat as well as a smoker ......true ??

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                mountainsmoker commented
                Editing a comment
                I am talking about a kettle and have done all my smoking on one since the late 1970's. With an SNS you can maintain a solid 250 without any problem. I actually smoke at 275. with a range of 250-275. I bought a fan controller last year so I can maintain 275 now. Like I said get the half shelf for more room and you will have no problem smoking what you want. SNS for $50. I smoke bacon, hams and you name it. on my kettle.
                Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 17, 2020, 03:47 AM.

I have the PK (TX) and love it. It is portable, will last a lifetime and is fun to cook on.

just wanted to throw in another option:

buy a used 22” kettle, get a new SnS, and place it there with your relatives. Easy peasy, no hauling and everyone’s happy :-)

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                mountainsmoker commented
                Editing a comment
                Excellent idea.

• au4stree
                au4stree commented
                Editing a comment
                Henrik 's idea is the most reasonable/logical thing to do considering your circumstances. But, since I suffer from MCS and I want to encourage your purchase of a new cooker, I am absolutely endorsing the PKTX. They are wonderful cookers and can handle whatever you throw at it.. ;^)

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Mr. Bones, I am waiting for you to park one up my way, then come and cook on it.

- Will the PK do what you want? Yes, but you will have to get creative to cook for that size crowd on a continual basis. You will eventually realize that "grate estate" is at a premium on the original PK so factor in the cost of either of PK's options on the extend a grid (1/2 or whole). BTW if you go the PK route the Hastybake option for an extending your "grate estate" is better made and costs a bit less. Another thing about the PK be aware that some folks are turned off by the cooking grate being level with the upper portion of the bottom half of the clam shell. Additionally ash containment in my opinion is good but be aware sometimes its too good and at other times a stray ember can drop out on the lower shelf of the original PK. Can be easily mitigated with a disposable tray placed underneath. I think ash catching is a tad better on the kettles.
              - I agree with above posters on the Kettle recommendations. Easier and cheaper to cook for the number of folks you mention. You are familiar with the brand. Chances of finding a cherry used one is good. Huge potential for OEM and after market add on accessories.
              - With all the above balloon juice said I have both the PK original and a 22" Kettle. Both great cookers and can do the job and both can do it extremely well. But with the size of group you will be cooking for I think the biggest bang for your buck will be with a kettle.
              Or if you really want to mix it up have you given any thought to an Akorn?
              Good luck in your search.
              Last edited by tiewunon; June 17, 2020, 02:24 AM.

Comment

I have to admit that at first I thought you were talking about a Weber kettle vs. an original PK. But you're talking about a WSM vs a PK original. With that being the case, there really is no comparison. With regards to smokng, the WSM is far superior to the PK original. It may be a bit labor intensive to break it down for travel, but worth it.

You can even convert the WSM into a grill. See the link below. It outlines the conversion. I think all you have to do is buy another charcoal grate.

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/g...-weber-bullet/

I do love my PK's. If I'm grilling, it's done on the PK. If I'm smoking anything other than a Chuck or a small Butt, then I'm doing it on my WSM's or stick burner.
                Last edited by TripleB; June 17, 2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Yeah, it won't fit a lot of food, but I love the little more grate. It doesn't seem like a lot but it really helps. As tiewunon said above, the grate is level to the lip of the clamshell and some people don't like that. It doesn't bother me because you can put a big cast iron pan on the grate and slide it around without hitting the sides of the lower half. A large pan can hang over the side with no impedement. The PKTX is pretty portable or that tailgate stand. It can be very quickly broken down into 3 main parts. I am very happy with mine but mainly for grilling or smoking a couple chuck roasts. This is not a good cooker for feeding a lot of people at once.

Comment

I love PK's but the real estate is very limited, even on their 360. Yes, they're perhaps a bit more portable than the WSM but size wise it just isn't going to cut it. Yes, I see people cooking briskets folded over on them. Given other choices, I wouldn't.

I have considered the PKTX portable model but the price is steep and the 310 in2 grate area keeps me from putting it in the cart. I keep my eye out for a used one.

Too bad that PK doesn't make a PK600. I would have one in a flash!

Sounds like you are an experienced cook and you are talking about cooking for 10 to 12 people. My advice is to stick with the WSM.

Comment

I think the PK would be great. Also a Weber Kettle and SNS or a PBC would be good options too. I have used both for over the road combos before and it works well.

Comment

Good Stuff --- glad I came on here !!! Need help with the vernacular ....what's an SNS ?!? Also, WSM's DO come smaller than my 22" .... they have the 18" and one even smaller if I'm not mistaken .... maybe just get a smaller one for the road ?? Lastly , one of you mentioned just getting another kettle and parking it at daughter #1's house --- that might be an option, but honestly, I don't think I'm good enough to smoke a 10+ lb brisket on a kettle . Love it on a WSM ......not sure about the kettle.

Comment

That was quick willxfmr: I just bought an SNS !!! What a cool thing !! Now with that done, you -- or ANY of you -- like that elevated grill rack ?!? Me and my Weber Kettle may be going to a whole new level of relationship .....

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                          Mr. Bones commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Th elevated rack is a definite game changer...
                          I have four, from 3 different manufacturers...
                          They vary in their design, but not in their functionality.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here