Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any idea where to get grates for an OLD PK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any idea where to get grates for an OLD PK?

I have an old PK from before the company was shut down in the 80s. I ordered a set of replacement grates from PK and the charcoal grate fit perfect but the cooking grate is just slightly too big to fit. I contacted PK and they said I was out of luck. Has anyone seen anywhere that makes cooking grates for old PK Grills?

GrillGrates?

Start grilling better, juicier food today with GrillGrate: the ultimate accessory for any grill - gas, charcoal, kamado, pellet and more.
    Last edited by Attjack; May 13, 2020, 11:03 PM.

Comment

When I built the fence around the garden, I used 2" X 4" wire to keep the deer out. I could not stretch the wire as tight as I wanted by myself, so I wound up putting kinks in the wire with a pair of pliers. If the grate wires are too heavy to do this by hand, maybe a machine shop could do it, but it might be cheaper to buy GrillGrates.

Comment

The pre-cut grill grates sized to the pko are meant to sit on _top_ of the existing grate, and so won't necessarily engage the tabs, and even if they do, there aren't tabs all the way around the pk so some sections will not be supported. You might want to call GG and give them some exact dimensions and see what they can figure out.

You may have to take a heavy gauge SS wire and make a loop to the exact shape so it engages all tabs, then you'll have a ring that something else can set on, maybe you can modify the poorly fitting grate to make said ring.

Comment

If its just slightly to big do you have access to metal files or a metal grinder like Polarbear777 says modify the grate to fit

Comment

• JoeSousa
            JoeSousa commented
            Editing a comment
            I will have to take another look and see if anything is grindable. Times like this makes me wish I learned how to weld at some point in my life.

I've seen lots of guys buying from this place. I'm in the PK Facebook group.

THE BURN SHOP We are a custom metal fabrication shop based out of Wichita Falls, Texas. We can cut anything using our precision CNC plasma table. Possibilities are endless. 940-631-6117 WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING

Comment

Have you given any consideration to an adjustable cooking grate like offered here http://www.grill-repair.com/universal.html
            I know nothing about the quality of these grates nor that business. In addition not sure if the older PK's have the for lack of a better words "grate tabs" that support the cooking grate.

Comment

I bet you have a local fabricator that could build you something pretty easily, or nicely modify what you already have.

Comment

Yeah I think I would see if a local shop can modify the grate you bought to fit. If its just slightly oversize, they can cut it down and re-weld an edge piece on it. If I went the custom route like that, I would for sure be doing it with stainless grates, so that you never have to do it again.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here