Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got my new PK TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my new PK TX

Yesterday I went to pick up my brand new PK classic, but with the foldable stand, I think it's called the PK TX. I was set on getting a 'silver' one, but when I saw them side by side I made a last minute decision and picked the graphite one instead. I also got the upgraded stainless steel grates. I was planning on getting home and unboxing et.c., but this was a demo ex (unused, only on display), so that part was already done. Fine with me, one less thing to do before firing it up :-)

I took some photos today, but since I will be away for the weekend I can't fire it up until next week. Darn.

Anywho, I look forward to many fine cooks on this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5259.JPG
Views:	550
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	809305

Name:	IMG_8009.JPG
Views:	544
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	809306

Name:	IMG_7083.JPG
Views:	530
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	809307

Name:	IMG_7741.JPG
Views:	541
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	809308

The drink holder is a nice touch! Congrats!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Yes, haven't had a drink holder on a grill before, I'll put it to good use :-)

Very nice. Can't wait to see what you cook on it!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, I'm super excited!

Congrats on the new toy, and I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it after cooking on it, compared especially to your kettles with the SNS.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I can't wait to fire it up, I think it's a rock solid cooker, so I'm 100% confident it's gonna deliver.

Congrats on your new toy.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Steve! I didn't need it, but I really wanted one, it's gonna be fun cooking on it.

Lookin good!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I think the graphite is gonna be better in the long run, simply because stains will be less visible :-)

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      You are right about the graphite. Less contrast for the stains.

Looks beautiful! I need to upgrade the grates on mine sometime this year so interested to hear what you think about the stainless steel grates.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll let you know. I know from other grills that with thicker bars/rods it is easier to clean.

Looks great! The graphite color looks sharp. I was torn between buying the same one you bought or the one I ended up with. I decided to buy the silver PKAR because that is what my dad had when I was growing up.

Comment

A beautiful and very functional pit, to say the least! By the way, I think you made a great choice by going with the SS grates. They are very durable.

Congratulations and I am looking forward to some feedback in the next week or so on your first cook!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, will post a cook or two soon!

I can't believe you wasted time takin' photos instead of firing it up. So disappointed...

Comment

Congrats! I too can’t wait for the action shots.

Comment

you will have generations of use, even simple thing's like hamburger's are good. Nice one.

Comment

Congrats on that beautiful cooker. I’m partial to the graphite, my 360 is that color. What’s the first cook gonna be?

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! I’m thinking ribeye, but we’ll see :-)

Yesterday I did a burn-in, and I thought I might as well test it while doing so. I always recommend doing a dry run with a new grill to learn all its quirks. So I went and bought two fireproof bricks (last week) and cut them to size. If you haven't cut through fireproof bricks - it's a tough job. I bought a diamond cutting disc, regular discs won't do, and mounted it on my steel grinder. I had the diamond cutting disc already I bought it 6 months ago for other needs.

Either way I placed the bricks at an angle so it would give me an L-shaped snake. I lit a few briquettes in one end and just let it go. After 30-40 minutes I had to close the vents a bit (I had them open 'diagonally'), and then another tweak at 1 hour in. But except for that it held temps rock steady. I noticed it is very sensitive to vent position, moving the vents just a few millimeters changed temp +/-5 degrees. I like that, because it means precision. Overall I'm very impressed with the build quality, simplicity and sturdiness. This grill is gonna be fun! Tomorrow I'm doing the first real cook on it.

Getting that snake started

Name:	pk-1.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	812163

Getting the grill grates in place, time to close the lid

Name:	pk-2.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	812162

You can see I didn't load it up fully, that's just a small batch of briquettes. But I set it to run at 250-260° F, and it held temps for 9 (!) hours. Very good. If I made the snake longer it would just keep on going.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't believe that last sentence. I think a 30-40 ft. snake is in order.

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Is that a challenge, Jerod Broussard? I'm gonna build me a 30 ft snake and clock it. Lol! Would be a nice "job", sitting there in a lawn chair, studying its progress.

Man ---- that's a REALLY cool grill. So , your opinion; you think you could get a 12 lb brisket on that bad boy ?? Second, and it's all about me , you mentioned that a 22" kettle with an SNS could do really well for smoking. So my ask is, you do a cook on the PK and then a cook on the Weber kettle SNS program , and tell us which is better. No pressure --- whichever one wins is the one I probably buy --- so I'd love to see what you thought. Congrats regardless --- I love the look of that !!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here