Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Cook on the new PK-O

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Cook on the new PK-O

Thai Chicken

This is TripleB 's recipe and it has become my go-to recipe for chicken (along with Meathead 's Alabama White Sauce Chicken): https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ai-bbq-chicken

I fired up the PK with some plain charcoal and let it go full steam for an hour or so to burn off any residues and season it. Then I added more charcoal and set up for two zone cooking ala Aaron Franklin: hickory log separated the direct from the indirect side. I seared the chicken bone- side down for 5-6 minutes before moving it to the indirect side bone side up. After 30 minutes I basted the bone side with the apricot peach glaze, let set 15 minutes, and flipped the chicken to skin side up. I then basted it every 15 minutes and I tossed a handful of apple wood chips on the charcoal whenever I basted the chicken. About an hour later it was done. Total cook time - about 1 1/2 hours. Make this recipe - you will not be disappointed.

Set up for two zone cooking, Littlemore grid in place.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3032.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.14 MB ID:	808851

Initial sear - bone side down.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3033.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	808854

Half way there.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3034.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	808852

Done and delicious!

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3035.JPG Views:	0 Size:	989.2 KB ID:	808853

Now, off to finish the evening reading with a glass of red wine and a Rocky Patel cigar
    Last edited by 58limited; February 26, 2020, 05:59 PM.

That looks great.

Comment

Ooooo. sticky lookin good.

Comment

Man, I'm jealous. I'm out of cigars.

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          I drive by a little cigar shop everyday so I buy one when the whim hits. Used to keep a small humidor full but have neglected it of late.

Great looking first pk cook!

Comment

Maybe a stupid question, but when you do the flip, do you just lift the Littlemore rack over to the direct side, flip/baste and return the rack to the indirect? I have been eyeballing the PK for some time, and wondered how folks manage that. extra rack.

Comment

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            GolfGeezer I did not move the Littlemore grid. I was able to reach under it with tongs and flip the chicken and baste it too. For something bigger I would probably have to lift it off to work the food. I seared in two batches - first batch was moved over to the indirect side and I put the Littlemore grid over them and placed the second batch on top. I didn't even have to rotate from top to bottom during the cook.

• GolfGeezer
            GolfGeezer commented
            Editing a comment
            Thxs! Of course, bride would KILL me if I bought one right now. Doh!

Man you're really making me want to make another purchase....my wife is mad at you.

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm with you, every thread on PK's and PBC's makes me think I really want to try both.

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            I got a pk and a PBC and got rid of everything else. Does that help?

I love those PK's. Great looking cook, man.

Comment

I love the idea of the log separating the zones, great idea. Will try in my 360.

Great looking chicken too!

Comment

58limited, About now I am betting you are glad you bought that new PK! They are awesome.

Comment

Wow, that looks sooo good! Talk about raising the bar, I have my inaugural cook on my new PK next week. But I already love that cooker, even before firing it up

Comment

I like the idea of using the log as the zone divider too. OK, add the PK to the long list of things I think I need just for that reason lol.

Comment

• 58limited
                    58limited commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I read about using the log in Aaron Franklin's book on steaks. It works great and will add a little smoke to the cook as well.

Ok guys, you are making me want a PK, when what I really need is another smoker, not another grill! . If I didn't have a charcoal grill, that original PK grill with the members-only deal is something I would be looking hard at.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here