Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pk360 vs Broil King Keg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonB
    replied
    I don't own either, but welcome to The Pit.

Leave a comment:

• pkadare
    commented on 's reply
    I use a BBQ Guru temp controller and fan on my BKK for low and slow and it holds temp exactly where I set it. Depending on how much more life your's has left, you may want to look into something similar. As far as searing goes, mine does an awesome job. With the right lump, I can get that thing up over 1000 degrees!

• smokin fool
    replied
    Agree with Huskee the PK would be more versatile of the two.
    To open I have no experience with the PK.
    I have the Keg, great for low and slow but there is a rather steep learning curve on using the dampers. Something that even after years of ownership still gives me fits. Needs a really good lump charcoal as nuggets just burn to fast.
    Mine is an older model and has become kinda leaky which doesn't help also.
    The cast iron grate has never been an issue after a cook I open the dampers, it'll hit 5-600 burn off the curd a quick brush and its ready for the next smoke. I've never seasoned it.
    I have seared on it at the end of a cook when I open the dampers and let her rip, does an OK job on the sear.
    Have THICK INSULATED gloves or really long tongs!!!!
    Hope this helps can't go wrong either way.
    ....and even on a major league screw up, and there's been many, the flavours are still outstanding

Last edited by smokin fool; January 27, 2020, 07:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pkadare
    replied
    I love my BKK however, the one thing that is really hard to do on it is a 2 zone fire. Yes, there are various inserts that you can purchase to help with that, but still... One big advantage of the BKK IMO is the ability to shut a fire right down when you're done, therefore preserving any unburned charcoal.
    I don't understand the concern about maintaining the cast iron grill though. Aside from a reseasoning with lard and a screaming hot fire each spring, I don't do anything special with mine other than keeping it clean.

Leave a comment:

• Collateralcall
    replied
    Thanks that's super helpful. I guess another way of looking at it is which one of them is the best at the thing it's not supposed to do...

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    They will both cook and function differently. One is a kamado-style cooker (BKK) and the other functions more like a kettle, or a regular old charcoal grill if you will. Do you plan to do more 'grilling', like steaks, burgers, chicken, hot dogs... or more 'smoking', low & slow long cooks, like pork butts, ribs, briskets? You can do either on either really, but the PK may be more to your liking for quicker grilling, whereas the BKK excels more at low & slow. Neither are limited to that though, just sharing the short story.

Leave a comment:

• Collateralcall
    started a topic Pk360 vs Broil King Keg

Pk360 vs Broil King Keg

Hi all. Quick question please. I'm trying to decide between the PK 360 and the Broil King Keg. As I'm outside the US the cost would be virtually identical. 360 looks lovely but might be a little cramped for low and slow, on the other hand I really don't want the headache of maintaining the cast iron grill grate on the BKK. Any other issues I should be considering? Thanks very much.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here